Just in case anyone's actually here for architecture...

Not to bitch, but what the hell happened to this group?

Anyway, what are you guys using for vicinity maps? The big 3 (mapquest, google, yahoo) suck all of a sudden... hmmm, forgot to try mapsonus.

The resolution when I insert into ACAD is so bad you can't read street names.

In these times, it would be ridiculous to have to draw maps and I sure don't want to pay for them.

Reply to
JD

Unquestionably, Microsoft has the highest quality maps and imagery. This is well known. Yahoo has the best implementation of the AJAX Javascript libraries with excellent documentation and Google has the eyeballs from their mastery of search. I actually prefer Google's UI controls for their maps but that's a personal preference that has nothing to do with your concerns about quality.

If its quality of the graphics and images you should be learning how to use Microsoft's mapping solutions.

Not to bitch, but what the hell happened to this group?

Reply to
12 String

Yes. They stink, but how much responsibility do I bear in case someone can't even find their way to the site?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

My monitors are at 1680x1050, with a dual monitor setup. Usually, I use Google (just habit), maximize the browser to full window, then do a CTRL-PRINTSCREEN, open Photochop, past, crop, grayscale, and insert.

Usually, the vicinity map is small enough that I get at least 1600 pixels across, and at 150 dpi*, that translates to just over 11" wide, more than enough.

This trick works on every search engine. Just have to be a little smarter than the search engine.

Tried Google Earth for image output?

  • We did some extensive research regarding image resolution vs. print resolution. After lots of plots and lots of people looking at the images, we decided that with most modern inkjet printers, you can scale down to about 100 dpi print resolution without a discernible difference at about 3 feet. Images printed at 100 dpi, 150 dpi, 200 dpi on the same printer were more than close enough to not waste the time with larger file sizes.
Reply to
3D Peruna

MapInfo, ArcGIS

++

What site do you use? The sites I know of have the map as a small area within a larger browser window. I don't get 1600 pixels, and don't think JD would be bitching if he/she did.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

maps.google.com I just did it, to prove it-- and I conceed, I lose some with the sidebar, but could make up for it if I stretched the whole image across two monitors...(and I did a test to confirm this works).

Reply to
3D Peruna

Thanks guys. I haven't tried all the recommendations yet but it figures that the Piranha would have an answer.

I'm running two monitors as well. One is the laptop and the other a 20"

1680x1050.

I moved the browser to the large monitor, printscreen, paste to word, crop, print to pdf and drag to my drawing.

I should have mentioned that I'm currently using AcadLT and I've noticed that inserting objects is one of the frustrations vs. Acad or ADT. (the others are not being able to select multiple layouts for printing and the crappy design center)

It's much better but I'll keep search>> Not to bitch, but what the hell happened to this group?

Reply to
JD

Like I said, me no wanna pay. Me no see no need to pay. Me no likey pay for things me see free all the time. Me just want sharper.

Methinks reading comprehension need work.

Reply to
JD

Methinks that you didn't note that some of those links were for free software.

Reply to
++

Hey Mr. "Not --2-Bitch", Easy way to avoid your map resolution problem is instead of right clicking & save image, then pasting it into your CAD drawing, make a PDF of it first, then chose the select tool in Adobe Acrobat, and then go into your dwg. and paste it. If you don't have a full version of Acrobat that allows you to create.... Then you have my full permission to Bitch Away. Good Luck!!

Reply to
a.la.cart

Hey you do pretty good making fun of the stereotypical way Asians speak English. How do you do at speaking n***er?

Reply to
911 Was An Inside Job

WOW, good to know you've done a really good job at keeping up the good ol American spirit of senseless racism just to come away with a proverbial "Rusty Sanchez" from brown-nosing the very group of people that you wish you could really be a part of. Also, good thing I'm not a so-called "n***er", nor do I even attempt to know what you mean by "Speaking n***er". But one thing holds true, you're really good at speaking non-sense, Good luck with that, It should take you as far up someone's ass as you ever want to go.

Reply to
a.la.cart

What's your point?

Regardless, it leads me to wonder if the vicinity map is an antiquated notion. If you don't use the internet then maybe I don't want you touching my job.

Reply to
JD

You must have Acrobat. I don't think that's an option on Reader

Reply to
JD

Went to them, didn't see free.

Then again, I was thinking online mapping, not download.

Reply to
JD

Ah, well, I wasn't thinking asian, but if you say so.

Hey asshole, if you turn on PBS early in the morning you may see who speaks that way.

But hey, you do a great job portraying moron.

Reply to
JD

That is exactly my point.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

My procedure is: - Bring up maps.google.com - Type the address you want mapped - Hit F-11 to maximize the browser - Click the faint blue arrow on the center inside edge of the sidebar on the Google page to get rid of the sidebar - Click the arrow in the lower right corner of the inset graphic in the lower right corner to get rid of the overview map - Cut-n-paste

Reply to
Charles Jones

That helps a bit! Thanks.

Reply to