If Richard Meier designed cars

RFI #731,639--Paint Finish

From: Automotive Design Manufacturer To: Automotive Design Architect Subject: Paint Finish on Body Panels

QUESTION:

Regarding the paint finish for the 8 cylinder sedan now under production:

Sheet F8.2.71 indicates that the left front fender is to have a "Factory Baked Enamel Finish" over steel body panels.

Paint specified in Bulletin #23,812R49 requires "Factory Baked Epoxy Finish at all disc brakes and the interiors of all hydraulic lines, engine cylinders, leather glove compartments and north-facing southern surfaces." Body panels are not mentioned in the specification and no specification for Baked Enamel Finish exists.

Sheet S9.5.81 shows that the left front fender is to have "Bamboo Coated Solar Cell Finish", but the "Bamboo Plated Hydronic Solar Shell" specification does not seem to apply to fenders.

SKT-217,921 shows the left front fender to be "Translucent Reinforced Concrete Tinted to Match Adjacent Asphalt" and is dimensioned to be

1/8" thick, but no finish is shown.

Bulletin 19,017 has a note pointing to the roof which says, "AT OWNER'S REQUEST, FRONT LEFT FENDER TO MATCH DENTED, RUSTED, UGLY GREEN 1939 EDSEL. OWNER RESPONSIBLE FOR COLOR AS VE ITEM. OWNER TO COORDINATE. NOT DESIGNED BY THIS OFFICE."

On the Headlight Submittal (revision 3092), the front left fender was marked up with the note, "Show Tempered Glass Tires!!" and provided an additional 16,727 SK drawings, but none of them showed the required finish.

Please confirm that "Factory Baked Enamel Finish" applies to all exterior steel body panels and provide sample of desired color and specification. Please expedite, as the production schedule has slipped

12 years and the project is 9 billion dollars over budget.

Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------- ANSWER:

Eight cylinder sedan is INCORRECT! Contract Documents show 13 3/57 cylinder convertible coupe, as indicated in Bulletin 105,422 (Revision

89), to be issued next week. Please be sure all subcontractors are working from current drawings!! Center of engine cylinders to align with reveals inside trunk. Contractor to coordinate!!!

Contractor is incorrect. Sheet F8.2.71 does not show a "left front" fender--it shows a "front left" fender. Please resubmit RFI and coordinate drawings!

Front left fender has been revised to have "BuckyBall Plated Hydronic Solar Sail Finish". See attached drawings SK-712,302 ~ SK-849,919 for clarification. Contractor to coordinate.

"Translucent Reinforced Concrete" is incorrect!! Provide "Transparent Reinforced Concrete Tinted to Match Adjacent Sky". Dimension to be 3

11/63 mm, as marked up on Submittal Drawing 31,771, returned this morning. Please resubmit showing pattern of carbon-nanotube reinforcement (Design-Build) for review and approval. Contractor to coordinate!

At Owner's request, "Radioactive-Luminescent Titanium-Diamond Finish" was deleted as a VE item in Bulletin 19, 016 for issues surrounding hazardous materials requirements and rejection by IOR. Owner to specify new finish.

Correct. Triangular tempered glass tires do not receive a paint finish for the doors.

Owner to respond to "Factory Baked Enamel Finish" part of question. Contractor to coordinate with Owner!

And you think YOU need a drink?

--

Reply to
Clientsopissedoffathisarchitec

Little-known facts department....

The point being that the working drawsings from this this clown's office suck. This jerk is Mr. Hot Shit in the profession, but if small-timers pulled the crap he does, they would have their license revoked and get sued into bankruptcy.

--

Reply to
Clientsopissedoffathisarchitec

I had a chance to look through a set of his documents for a house he did in Dallas a few years ago (Rachofsky House), and I was quite impressed with the quality of the set. Very thorough and well put together. It was the best set of documents I've seen for a residence. Sounds like some playa' hatin' going on.

Reply to
Cato

Yet he gets buildings built. Big buildings. And you...?

Reply to
gruhn

You're dignifying the spewage.

Reply to
gruhn

At first glance, you are right--they look good. Were you the builder who built off those drawings?

I have spent multiple years work> Clients> > Little-known facts department....

--

Reply to
Clientsopissedoffathisarchitec

ROTFLMAO...

"George Bush's skills is a terrific Green Beret. When was the last time you were Commander-in-Chief?"

"Windows doesn't have security problems--that's BS. When was the last time you designed an operating system anyway?"

Etc.

He does not get "buildings built". His clients do.

BTW, how many big build> > office suck. This jerk is Mr. Hot Shit in the profession, but if

--

Reply to
Clientsopissedoffathisarchitec

No, he was mocking me.

Reply to
gruhn

Ooo, a semantic nit. Maybe reread until you find a meaning that is correct rather than stick with the first misinterpretation that pops into your head.

Reply to
gruhn

Ah, sorry, my mistake was figuring your problem was one of professional jealousy from somebody at a similar level of responsibilty. Instead it seems you are coming at it from the angle of somebody who hasn't even tried to get anything built. My mistake. Comment totally off the mark. I retract anything I said other than how you come across as an anonymous whiney liar boob.

"I have spent multiple years..."

Reply to
gruhn

No my friend was a project manager for the GC who built it, and let me on the site while it was under construction. I looked the set over with the GC's people. They pretty much the same thing I said about the set. Way above average. So your point was?

Does he work with the same contractor on all his projects? Do you hand out building permits for him? How do you see all his documents? More likely scenario is that you work for the print shop he uses, thus giving you the ability to look over many of his sets and give your 'stamp of approval'. lol

Reply to
Cato

Yeah, shoot the messenger. Good idea.

Ever been one of his clients? Have you ever worked for a client at all? Have you ever had to pay for an architect's mistakes? Do you know why clients tend not sue their architects, but keep their mouths shut and say nice things instead?

I work for a client that hires many architects who "get buildings built. Big ones."--he isn't the only one who does, right? So my opinion is based on a comparison between his work product (his drawings), and other architects' work product.

BTW, why did the Getty take twice as l> > He does not get "buildings built". His clients do.

--

Reply to
Clientsopissedoffathisarchitec

I guess my question would be for your friend, the GC's Project Manager: Did the GC build the project for the bid amount? If not, why not?

Yeah, sure, right. Guess again.

--

Reply to
Clientsopissedoffathisarchitec

Cato:

I gather that the office of Richard Meier uses MicroStation CAD software.

Does anyone know if that helps in their work?

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle