Cost of laying stone?

We're about to have some stone accent veneers added to the front of our new home. We've been putting this off for more than a year since the house was finished, and we're finally doing it. Question is... What can I expect this to cost? I already know the stone is costing $2,800, but I don't know what to expect for labor. Our mason told us it will take four of his guys 10 hours (40 man hours) to lay the stone. But he still hasn't gotten back to us with a precise estimate (he's on vacation) and we need to plan our finances. Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate of what 40 man-hours would cost? This is small- town midwest and these guys are well regarded but not considered "high end" contractors--just good. They have trucks with fancy graphics, and good reputations, but they generally just do small jobs in our rural area, like brick on the front of ranch homes, stone accent walls, repair old stone houses, etc. I know you can't give me an exact amount, but I'm just looking for a very rough range to help us plan.

Thanks, snipped-for-privacy@Yahoo.com

Reply to
HappyHumanist

You think you are asking a simple question, but you are not. I would _strongly_ suggest you stop this line of thinking. It will only come back to bite you and your contractor.

Any number you get from anyone other than from your mason will be misleading.

Your mason will not be on vacation forever. Wait for them.

RicodJour

Four men are going to lay 2800 dollars worth of stone in 10 hours? One long day? I would find this hard to believe though the details are not there. Natural stone? Cultured (man made)? Size? Walls? Flatwork? Low, high? Substrate? Intricate? Big open areas? On and on.

There are too many variables to even allow for a rough estimate. Around here (mid atlantic) billing $30 per hour per man is not uncommon. That said, I would be very surprised if you could lay $2800 worth of any stone for 1200 dollars.

Mark

Reply to
M&S

Rico:

You don't think applying a wild guess of $100 per MH and giving the OP that number isn't a good idea?

I mean, what's 40 MH x $100 = $4,000 between friends? Come to think of it, $100/MH in this case seems pretty cheap. If the stone costs $2800, then I think a labor cost that is 3 to 5 times the material cost wouldn't be out of line.

In the end, your are, of course, correct. So, I will pass along the same advice:

WAIT FOR YOUR CONTRACTOR TO COME BACK FROM VACATION!!!

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Interesting point. Not your dollars, but the time involved. Maybe it's a thin stone veneer and they have a bunch of corners, that'd explain the expense, but that stuff doesn't go up that quickly.

I guess we'll have to wait for the mason to get back from vacation to find out! ;)

RicodJour

Masons get vacations? What for?

Reply to
tmurf.1

Reply to
Charles

Yeah that's the right way. Find some unknown illegal guy with no credentials as an american or as a mason and work the shit out of him and then when the wall falls down you just get another guy etc etc etc. You can do this your way or the right way.

Reply to
tmurf.1

Agreed, I could see 2800 dollars of cut blue stone slabs (steps) perhaps being laid in a day with a machine and 4 guys. But if its any kind of mortar work I would be shocked. That said, I am working in the land of ultra cheap labor (and expected end results) so nothing would surprise me. The "fancy graphics and good reputations" thing is what perked my senses. It'll be interesting to hear what HappyHumanist finds out.

Mark

Mark

Reply to
M&S

Well I cant really argue with you. Unfortunately you are a part of the growing norm in the US though I dont agree with your position. I have my own position on the subject but with a post like yours it seems like its wasted text to present it.

I do know, with one hundred percent clarity, that you or your immediate family will one day come to regret this position you take. Its just a matter of time before it will cut into your immediate comfort circle.

I am not a protectionist nor an advocate of border closure by any means. Let them in I say. However as long as they dont operate on a level playing feild with the rest of us, I will guarantee you that your position will negatively affect everyone, including the immagrants, in time.

Mark

Reply to
M&S

The reason that Mexicans cross the border and work on what is other than an "even playing field" is because of the artificial barrier that separates our countries. Until we finally have a global economy in which people can travel and work wherever we please, there will always be inequities that encourage illegal immigration. When you have two separate political systems, they will never be perfectly equal systems, and one side will always want to cross over and take advantage of the other, good or bad. And worse, as long as there is an artificial barrier that impedes geographical and economic freedom, social pressures continue to build that *WILL* eventually be released, perhaps quite violently. Mexicans are human beings, just like us. The concept of "race" was created by racists, and to distinguish between Mexicans and Americans and make generalizations based on that distinction is racist. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for a complete and immediate dissolution of our country's borders; rather we need to gradually work toward a truly global economy and make the transition as gracefully as possible. But we need to at least be moving in the *DIRECTION* of a pure global economy. In the meantime, I assure you, one day, everyone will regret that people like yourself have taken the position that you do, just as the vast majority of us regret past institutions like slavery and imperialism (or I should say

*MORE SEVERE* imperialism).

By the way, when our house was being built, the only part of our house that was screwed up was the drywall, particularly the tape/mud and the texture. The job was awarded to an overpriced "white" guy in a brand new truck with fancy graphics who turned out to be a grifter with poor skills in the trade. About the same time, a friend of mine hired a crew of Mexicans at about 25% of the cost, and his drywall is perfect. At this point, if I was a simple-minded racist who forms generalizations based on a small number of experiences, I would draw the conclusion that Mexicans are superior tradesman. But I prefer to turn to my old friends logic, reason, and objectivity, and conclude that one can *NOT* make generalizations based on race, ethnicity, creed, or culture, but rather make objective decisions based on each unique situation's unique circumstances.

Oh, and your clansman's robe is showing underneath your shirt. Tuck it in.

- The Happy Humanist

On Mar 23, 7:59 pm, M&S wrote:

Reply to
HappyHumanist

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Happy, Your assumptions couldnt be farther from correct. Did you read the part where I said "let them in"? I have been arguing against any form of immigration reform presented to date as I am well aware they are filling an important void in this country but unfortunately we have become reliant, to a point of no going back, on them. This is hurting both us AND them in the long run. With regards to immigration I am a liberal's liberal. So your assumption of a robe and cap is shooting you in the foot. Good work, you blew your big toe off on that shot. Where the negative affect I spoke of will come is in what we are currently seeing. The migrant workers "load" on the system to which they are not contributing a single cent. I say let them stay, bring more in fact, but let them contribute. By being paid cash dollars they are not contributing to the health care they consume, the potable water they consume, the sewerage they consume, the roads they consume, on and on. I am all for them being here, open the boarders wide. That said, make everyone who reaps the rewards of the US contribute to the costs of the goods they consume and enjoy. This is far from the case with todays migrant workers. With regards to your global economy, I also agree. We need to create a trade environment that allows potential immigrants the opportunity to earn a sustainable and profitable living in their homeland should _they choose_ to stay. Should they choose to come here, come on in but be ready to contribute. That said, you need to put your money where your mouth is and go lobby the 8 families in Mexico who hold the entire country in a perpetual state of poverty for their own personal gain and power. It has nothing to do with much other than that. Dont place all the blame elsewhere. The US is not its neighbors sole savior. The rulers and the people have to have some culpability in saving themselves. The US can not be held accountable to rid Mexico of all its corruption and hierarchy. Perhaps another revolution is in order? With regards to Central American countries it is widely agreed that trade tariffs need to come down to allow the residents of these countries to earn an honest and profitable living within their own borders should they desire to stay. This is far from complete but it seems the initial stages are in effect. Vote. As for now, people like you, who argue to blindly reward those who cheat the system simply exacerbate the problem as you give the very people you fight for the false impression that the current wages they earn are what can be expected for eternity. Wait til' a system is in place, which it will be, that allows these workers to stay but they have to pay the 40+ percent tax that we all have to pay weekly. When their 10 dollars an hour cash is cut to 6 and they are subject to IRS audits like the rest of us I have to wonder if you will see the influx remain at its current pace. I applaud the immigrant labor who established themselves here legally and builds businesses for themselves. I know a framing crew personally that is owned and operated ABOVE THE TABLE by a Mexican immigrant here legally. It should be held up as a symbol that it can be done right. There is no need to cheat and steal from the system that is providing you with the necessities you need. People like you who blindly jump to conclusions without probing deeper and argue for the status quo are the reason we stay in this perpetual mess.

Mark

Reply to
M&S