Aerogel

Amazing stuff.

RicodJour

I want a chunk.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

It's hard to get. There are only 1 or 2 manufacturers of the stuff, they're working at capacity and can't make it fast enough for the space related orders coming in. I contacted on a couple of years ago about getting some, and they told me they can't help...they were 3-4 years booked on orders. I wanted a thin aerogel blanket as house insulation. The sales person told me I wasn't the first and it'd be a decade before they could get production to affordable levels.

Reply to
3D Peruna

I wonder how biodegradable it is.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Or else how reusable.

Reply to
Edgar

How biodegradable is it?

Reply to
Warm Worm

Since you're busy practicing parsing that question, I'm not sure if I should interrupt with a reply. ;) The Wiki article -

- gives some hints to the answer. The liquid in the original gel is replaced by a gas, the aerogel is very hygroscopic and it it shatters (catastrophically) when crushed. I'd surmise that mixing the liquid back into crushed aerogel would, for the most part, put the stuff back in its original state.

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news:1194270645.048103.51690@

19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

Isn't that what they used to collect the comet dust?

Silicon is amazing stuff.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Warm Worm wrote in news:fgock1$d6o$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Isn't it silicon? IOW, glass? If so, it's ought to be as recycleable as glass.

Resibility - depends. IS it inside fo some protective covering? Subjected to mechanical stres? Etc. and so on...

Reply to
Kris Krieger