Zinsser Seal Coat Shelf Life?

Anyone know what the shelf life is once opened?

Thanks.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Brian wrote:.

I think it's written on the can, around 1 year ... I think. Paint some on a stick, and if it dries in a few hours, it's good. Keep stirring it. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

If you don't stir Zinnser shellac, the wax will settle out. The clear stuff on top is dewaxed shellac. Keep stirring only if the wax is desired.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Reply to
nospambob

Never mind the shelf *life* -- where's the shelf? I can't seem to find it at any of our local Borgs.

Doug Miller

Seal Coat has NO wax in it to settle out. :)

dave

B a r r y wrote:

Reply to
David

I noticed that yesterday at HD myself. I was on the verge of seeking out a manager to request that HD start carrying it, but then I thought why bother? They can't even keep everyday items in stock like vinyl gloves and paint roller tray liners.

dave

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
David

Hmmm, it is dewaxed, though?

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I ordered it from

Great price.. At $22.99 + UPS Ground ($6.98), that's $14/can cheaper than Rockler.

1 year should be plenty of shelf life.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Doug, I gave up on HD some time ago . . . at least when it comes to anything that wasn't on the shelf. {And how many times have you found something on the shelf after an 'employee' has SWORN to you that they didn't have it ??}

Look around your neighborhood. In mine there is a small, independent, paint store that carries it. I only use it occasionally for sealing wood edges. Primarily, I use it for sealing the surface of Hardboard before I glue full size plans & parts of plans. After the pieces are carefully cut out, I then seal the edges. 1/8in are my 'Drawing' templates, and 1/4in are my 'Router' templates.

Because of this I buy it in Quarts . . . $6.95 per. Gallons would obviously be a 'degree of scale' cheaper, but a quart may last a year . . . depending on what I'm doing.

"Doug Miller" wrote SNIP

Reply to
Ron Magen

My small, local hardware stocks a couple of cans just for me. You still have one of those? I don't know what I will do when it isn't there anymore.

Reply to
T Stapleton

yes Brian, Seal Coat is dewaxed. Barry is confused. :)

dave

Brian wrote:

Reply to
David

Reply to
nospambob

Perfect.

Reply to
Brian

I have a coupon for a free can of the Zinsser stuff I got two years ago as a result of a note I posted here on the WrecK. The man from Zinsser wrote that it would be available to the public shortly...well, that was two years ago and the local HD still doesn't carry it and I can't seem to find in any local home stores.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

" snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I LOVE those locally operated hardware stores, where people give a bleep.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I get mine at an ICI paint store.

dave

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

Reply to
David

A few questions concerning this very subject came up on Joe Johns mailing list. When I found the web site for Zinsser, one of the members shot them a note.

They responded "that day" and were very nice in their explanations(about waxed vs dewaxed"...)

Perhaps another email(or two) might be > I have a coupon for a free can of the Zinsser stuff I got two years ago as a

Reply to
Pat Barber