ZERO-CLEARANCE INSERT

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/289.xml&catref=wd47
First one I made was for a Shopsmith. I looked at the price they were asking to buy one, and made one, no prob. In fact, I made about a half-dozen, all at one go. Used think plywood, every simple actually.
JOAT You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.
They left out a key step. Many saws will not lower the blade sufficiently to install the new ZCI. Therefore ... BEFORE removing the new ZCI from the original insert, install the assembly in the saw (w/ the ZCI on top). Clamp a 2x4 across them to hold them down. Turn on the saw and raise the blade until it just starts coming thru the ZCI. Turn off the saw and separate the ZCI from the original insert.
Art

Alternative is to use a 6" or 8" blade say from a dado set to get things started.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/289.xml&catref=wd47
: http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/289.xml&catref=wd47 : : First one I made was for a Shopsmith. I looked at the price they : were asking to buy one, and made one, no prob. In fact, I made about a : half-dozen, all at one go. Used think plywood, every simple actually.
I never thought about doing it that way, but on second thought, what I did made a better fitting insert. It's probably becuase my Delta TS isn't the most expensive in the world, plus the insert needed a shoulder to fit the opening properly. So I just traced the existing pattern onto some 3/8" ply with a dull pencil and cut it out on the outside of the line - fit came out perfect; hardest part was getting the shoulder accurately routed. Then a belt-sand, and it was ready to wax.
BTW, used a couple of your TS miter sled ideas you referenced; they work great! Keep 'em coming if that's what you enjoy!
Pop