Woodworking sights in Ohio, W.Virginia, Pennsylvania

Wreckers: I am planning a leisurely motorcycle ride from the area around Columbus, Ohio, to Trenton, New Jersey, during the first week of July. I am looking for recommendations for woodworking-related stops along the way. I am already considering a stop in Muncy, PA, to visit the Grizzly folks. What else is out there? I don't need to go to the Wharton Esherick museum in Paoli this trip, since it is so close to home, but what else should I see? Thanks in advance for your suggestions. .. cheers.
On 22 May 2006 14:13:31 -0700, LarryLev wrote:

The Martin guitar factory, in Pennsylvania not far from Trenton. http://www.martinguitar.com/visit/tour.html
--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net
LarryLev wrote:

Swing through Holmes County OH and tour some of the Amish workshops.
Eugene Nine wrote:
> Swing through Holmes County OH and tour some of the Amish workshops.
If you do that, the make sure you stop and get some cheese as well as Trail Bologna.
Back when I was still in high school, would run down to Holmes county on the bike (a baby Harley) to go fishing and you guessed it buy cheese and bologna.
Just remember, stores are closed on Sunday.
Lew
A quick search brought up this.
http://jointer.oldetoolshop.com/padutch.html
Be careful in PA esp. on the TP, tickets are very expensive in PA.
RayV wrote:

Grizzly's got a showroom in Muncy, Pennsylvania. http://www.grizzly.com/showroom_pa.aspx
JP
don't plan on going on the PA TP. the point of the trip is for it to be leisurely.

You say that the Esherick Museum is close to home? Have you been?
By all means stop at the Mercer Museum in Bucks County, PA.
If you like old tools, this is a Mecca.
Visit the former workshop of Nakashima while you are close. His daughter runs it now.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /

your route) fascinating http://www.westpennhardwoods.com / And Big Rock City nearby is worth a trip
Winterthur (http://www.winterthur.org /) may be worth a visit if you like seeing some historical woodworking. They have a display called "In Wood" with an 81th century cabinet makers workbench.
If you're passing near York, there is http://www.wilkemachinery.com home to Yorkcraft and Bridgewood. And, if you're near York, on a motorcycle, you've got to visit http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/content/pages/factory_tours/york.jsp
A bit off track, but interesting none the less, http://www.decoymuseum.com/ in Haver de Grace, MD has a collection of some 1200 carved decoys.
dcm
The Pittsburgh Regional History Center has a rather large collection on display: The Prine collection of Woodworking planes 239 planes dating from 1803 to 1875. Collected by Charles W. Prine, Jr, who researches their origins and makers in the book: Planemakers of Western Pennsylvania and Environs.
--
May no harm befall you,
flip
Devon Miller wrote:

I would have called the display, "The Future of Woodworking".

B.

If you're interested in a specatular display of woodcarving, see the Warther museum in Dover. www.warthers.com

Agreed, very impressive.
There's another Warther who carves, the grandson of Ernest Warther (the guy mentioned above, who carved trains): http://www.ivorybuyer.com/museum1.htm
If you leave a week earlier you could go to the National Woodturning AAW show in Loiuisville KY and see the Louisville slugger baseball bat factory turning bats across the street, and they have some other well know turners exhibits close by.
Not that it is all that special, but Woodcraft's Corporate headquarters store is in Parkersburg, WV. Cross the Ohio on Rt. 50 and go up Rt. 68 North. After the visit continue on 68 North and it becomes Rt. 2 North and goes all the way up the Northern Panhandle. Hit Rt. 22 about Weirton and cut over to the Pittsburgh area to see that collection of planes someone mentioned.
Dave Hall