Woodworking Show near Baltimore this weekend

Hey All, The annual woodworkers show is going to be at Timonium (it rhymes with plutonium) Maryland this weekend. Just wanted to let some of you know if you didn't already. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Marc

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Hello Sonoma, I am almost certain it will happen as a friend of mine who is an exhibitor called me last night to let me know he wasexhausted from setting up his booth. He mentioned several other exhibitors were set up so that is a positive sign. Marc

=2E> Let us know if it actually happens. One poster said the show near his

Reply to
marc rosen

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Marc

Marc,

I think I will head over tomorrow (Sat.). I was going to pass, but the wife likes to go and her brother. Not really looking for anything imparticular this year. How about you?

Dave - Parkville

Reply to
DLB

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Marc

Hello Dave, I'm planning on taking a long lunch break from work (translation; I'll return on Monday) and heading up today. I may go tomorrow also if my wife wants to attend but I may already be at tool overload/saturation and I'd rather be making wood dust with my soon to be -at the show- Domino purchase. We'll see. The first time I ever went to the the show- any woodworking show - was two years ago and I went all three days. I've onlt been to dealer demo days and never saw a large exhibit like that first show.Last year I went once. If I do go Saturday, look for me; I'm the older guy with a beard, dungarees and a sweatshirt. You'll recognize me. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Glad to hear the show is alive. I must now admit I have Domino envy. Enjoy it and make them give you a break in the price. They are seemingly a great tool but pretty pricey. The slide in the dollar can't help either with them being an off shore company.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Marc

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Porter Cable showed their new Omni Jig at the show. It is an impressive piece of machined metal. The PC rep stated that it will be easier to set up and use than the Leigh. Less time spent calibrating, etc. He owns a Leigh now but has spent time learning about his product. I did not see the Omni in operation and I don't know if they even demo'd it but if it does work as easy as they say it will be a big seller. Presently it does not have an integral dust collector but a chip deflector is being fabricated for release soon. Looks like it takes up more space than the Leigh and its street price is higher too, about $600 - show price is around $550 (It is manufactured in Viet Nam too). There are several hundred units at the warehouse and thay expect to ship it within two weeks. Overall I was a bit disappointed with the show. Maybe like I typed earlier I am suffering from tool overload/saturation and perhaps a bit jaded but there were not as many demos going on. This could have been because it was a Friday night and perhaps Saturday and Sunday will have more going on but I was not in as much "awe" as in the past. Still it's the next best thing to making your own wood dust. One last thing to note some quality customer service from Delta. I mentioned to one of their reps that my 15 inch planer (X5) that was purchased 2 years ago had developed a slight oil leak from its gear box. He ushered me to their Service Support rep who set me up with an appointment (next week) to have their regional field repair technician come out to my house to diagnose and fix the problem. I knew I had a 5 year warranty on the thing but I did not expect this type of service. That response really made me feel good abourt Delta.

Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

I was at the show most of the day,lurking around it was smaller than last years and had much less demonstrations' going on.this years porter cable came back after at least a two year absence.And I talked to a vendor who said that he was one of the few local venders there (I know of at least two others)and he said that the show was purchased by new management and that next years show may be better. Food sucks at the type of things but was worse this year than in past years

Reply to
Leonard Shapiro

BTW, there is now a Rockler in Baltimore. It kinda hidden away in a wharehouse area of Hunt Valley. It shares the space with Cayce Machinery so there's also lots of stationary power tools on display.

Mitch

Reply to
MB

-snip-

Delta or Skarie?

When I contacted Delta last year re: my new X5 drill press, they blew me off. Skarie took care of me (sent rep out to replace the head).

Didn't even look at the Delta, personally, after my experiences w/them last year.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

-snip-

You must have about 60 brothers...;-)

Renata

Reply to
Renata

I went Saturday and one thing I'll note is that stuff was out of stock, even mid Saturday. Sunday, I'll understand, but not with more than a day left of the show.

Some had reasonable sounding excuses (based on past sales at shows, we brought x; but this year sales have been different), but others, well, it was probably deliberate.

Peachtree - 32oz Titebond III for $11 w/coupon. Got the last bottle around noon Saturday.

In fact, Peachtree was out of a lot of stuff.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

I was at the Baltimore woodworking show Saturday, first one I've attended. Drove 75 miles each way from Fairfax VA.

If you were there, how did this one compare to others?

I had a good time, explaining equipment to the Chief Financial Officer. She was more willing to spend than I was, special purpose equipment like the "Carvewright" caught her eye. I had to remind her that I'd only use it twice in my life and $1700 was a bit much...

I thought there was a good vendor turnout and a big crowd.

Demos at the corner of smaller booths were often simple, the bigger booths provided a great place to sit and rest my feet but seemed to have basic discussions and demos.

I'll go again.

Jack

Reply to
EWCM

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Marc

I did make it on Saturday. Only thing I came out with was green ink on my hand. A little smaller than last year. Only stayed about 2 hours. Not bad, not good.

Reply to
DLB

Hey Renata, It was the Delta guys who were very helpful. Not to take away any credit from the Skarie guys, but in the past they told me to go directly to Delta for tech warranty questions. They always did this politely and the folks whom I talked to at Delta corroborated their (Skarie's) attitude toward customer/warranty questions for the X5 series tools. That's too bad that the Delta contact you had was unfavorable as I have made a few phine calls over the past two yeas and always got a positive response or favorable advice. Marc (who didn't go Saturday but sent his 60 brothers instead)

Reply to
marc rosen