Woods class

I am going to be volunteering again this year for one day a week in a high school woodworking class. It is billed as "Introduction to Woodworking" and students start out with learning to use a ruler, drill, bandsaw, and so on. By the end of the semester they will build a small table with a drawer. The teacher is a carpenter, and pretty much hands out the plans and lets the kids go to it. He has suggested that I create an extra credit project to be done by those who are getting ahead of the class. I am looking for some input on what might be a reasonable project. I am thinking I would start out by doing three or four 15 minute 'lectures' to go over the plans and techniques and then help students as needed when I am there. One of the goals is to get more kids to take the follow-on classes. Really fine woodwork is out of the question as cost is a factor. Oak is available for the students to buy, poplar is available for free. It is a reasonable shop but most tools are not nearly up to my standards for sharpness.
Ideas?
Thanks
Woodchip
Well, that's what "prep" hours are for - or, as I prefer, that's what comprises a part of the advanced class - tool maintenance.
Extra credit available to those who learn how to, and help maintain the equipment. Grade the bandsaw setup, the sharpness of the edges they produce, and then have 'em make a jewelry box with a full-bright finish.

wine rack.

On 8 Sep 2003 10:06:09 -0700, woodchip snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Paul Andersen) wrote:

as i recall in my high school wood shop class, tool maintenance was part of the course, lubrication, sharpening and such,our second year , we built tables as well, but the more advanced woodworkers built tables using the lathe for the legs, just a thought for your more advanced ones. fred