wood storage dilemma

Page 2 of 2

Stack the wood on the piano?

Why don't you help her with the refinishing. If you do a good job, she will want to get the piano out of the shop into the main house.
As far as temperature/humidity changes - I store rough lumber in a similar area that changes with outside temps with no problems, as long as wood is DRY to start with.... Schroeder

is
of
way
build
My shop is in a 14' x 26' barn style outbuilding with a 5 1/2' high attic area. I have a small area at one end of the shop that I store the wood for any "work in process" but use the attic area for all other wood storage. Like you I have a pull-down stairway and an outside door access to the second floor. Although it would be more convenient to have everything on one level I've found that my arrangement works fairly well for boards up to 10' length. If they are longer than that it's impossible for me to get them down through the stairwell. Sheet goods larger than 3' x 6' won't go through it either. These require me to go up and open the outside door, pass the piece out through and lower it to the ground, then close and latch the door, and then come down and go outside to retrieve the needed wood. Since my projects don't usually tend to be very large and I only do hobby and home maintenance this works OK for me, but I wouldn't consider it acceptable if I was in business. The wood itself holds up fine when stored up there and the solar heating of the roof (well ventilated)keeps the moisture content low. I need help to get 4' x 8' sheet stock up through the outside door but I can manage everything else OK. I don't have a hoist. Maybe you could figure a way to do it yourself with that. I would much rather have first floor storage, but this is workable for me.
Maybe, with that hoist and those big double doors up there you could put the piano up in the attic. You would need help to get it up there (and again in 5 years to get it back down) but that would solve all of your problems.
--
Charley

All outgoing e-mail is scanned for
On Wed, 12 May 2004 19:48:49 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"

well you could always have an accident. maybe something heavy could just happen to fall on the piano rendering it worthless. sneeky but most effective! lol.....
skeez
L. Francis Herreshoff wrote a book about wooden boats in which one home boatbuilder stored wood in his shop's attic. As I recall, he had installed a trap door in the attic floor so that a board came in the end door of the shop and had a straight shot up to the attic through the trap door.
When lumber was needed, the boards were fed down through the same trap door, passing temporarily out through the shop's end door until the upper end cleared the trap door and then carried horizontally into the work area.