wood prices

Page 1 of 2
I'm a reporter doing a story about rising wood prices and home improvement. Can any of you comment for me on how this affects your craft? I'm at snipped-for-privacy@wsj.com. Thx.
snipped-for-privacy@wsj.com says...

It makes things more expensive to build.
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods
MikeG wrote:

Everyone's a comedian...
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

Rumor mill has it that there might be a ventriloquist in the wood-pile, too.
We've got Mortimer, _and_ Charlie. Edgar hasn't been seen for a while, though.
Robert Bonomi wrote:

He cacked it long ago. Trust me.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Candice is still around.
Thx.

I think you'd better simplify it some more, Mike. He's only a reporter, mind you.
todd
MikeG wrote:

LOL!!!
OK - Without any specific guidance I would offer that it impacts us more than homebuilders:
1) Home builders recoup what they spend and price increases are flowed to their customers. Relatively few of us have "customers" so costs come out of our pockets.
2) While not directly related to wood costs, we do not have the advantages of capitalization that homebuilders do. We buy our own tools and have to pay for blade sharpening, maintenance, etc. without cost flowdown or tax advantages.
3) Builders buy material, including the hardwoods many of us use, at quantity discounts. Yes, some of us do buy at the lower end of the quantity discount ranges but few of us can afford to have hundreds or thousands of board-feet in stock. For this reason, some dedicated woodworkers band together or join clubs that provide quantity buying opportunities. Others saw their own wood and allow it to dry naturally - a time consuming process.
The average Wall Street Journal reader probably has very little appreciation for the cost of finish or furniture grade hardwoods, let alone the exotic woods that some of us use. For example, I have built some Oak and Walnut rocking horses and occasionally someone asks what it would cost to build one. When I explain that a horse has $140 worth of expense, some think I am lying so I can charge a large price. Fact is the $140 is the cost of the bill of materials + a 10% "wear and sharpening" cost that really isn't adequate.
Ron Brogan
Thx.
Fri, Jul 23, 2004, 9:15am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@wsj.com (AveryJohnson) who claims: I'm a reporter doing a story about rising wood prices and home improvement. Can any of you comment for me on how this affects your craft? <snip>
Second thread you've started today. And, still no credentials given.
JOAT Every thing that happens stays happened. - Death waxes philosophical

I don't know his and he don't know mine. The 'net: where everyone's an expert; all prospective single n' looking males are 6'2", 210lbs, straight teeth; yadda-yadda-yadda
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:30:43 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Did you notice his e-mail address?
Igor responds:

An email address is not a credential.
Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.'" Garrison Keillor
On 24 Jul 2004 18:11:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Charlie --
As someone who has been dealing with the press for decades (I just realized how long it has been), I find meaning in an e-mail address that ends wsj.com. (And I say this as someone who has not always been treated well by the Journal.) wsj.com IS a credential - even if not good enough for you, by whatever standard, to inspire a reply to the OP's questions. Indeed, someone might write chapter and verse about his/her supposed "credential" as a reporter but then list a yahoo.com e-mail account. Which should mean more: A wsj.com e-mail acc't alone or some explanation with a yahoo account? (In the latter case, I call the editor - some supposed stringers are legit.) Now, one might still want some add'l info - e.g., what beat the reporter is on - but that's simply more detail.
Webster online:     credential -     Function: noun     1 : something that gives a title to credit or confidence     2 plural : testimonials showing that a person is entitled to credit or     has a right to exercise official power
IMO, someone who has access to a wsj.com e-mail account has presented A credential. YMMV. -- Igor
igor writes:

As a freelance writer for a few years--starting back around '68--I find that I like more than an address with no title as a credential. For all you know, it's the receptionist writing the request.
Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.'" Garrison Keillor
On 24 Jul 2004 23:32:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Exactly - that is YOUR standard, with which, FWIW, I have no dispute. If I had had something worthwhile to offer OP/reporter, that would have been enough for me, for starters. All I was saying is that there was A credential proffered.
You get a LOT more resourceful if you really have a burning desire to create something.
After being laid off from a fairly nice job two years ago, I was forced to make serious alterations in the old budget. This is when I found out just how much money I'd been wasting, going to the rip-off building material houses. I have found a lot of scrap lumber that I sanded down to find beautiful grain and great seasoning. I make guitars, and the wood at a lot of the lumberyards is too green to make a quality instrument. I have found much better lumber laying by the side of the road. I have not yet resorted to dumpster diving, but I certainly don't rule out THAT venue either!

http://www.preparingforemergencies.co.uk /
http://www.preparingforemergencies.gov.uk/
Can you tell which is the real site ?
Didn't used to be, but the difference between whitehouse.com and whitehouse.gov is pretty big.

Yes.