Wood of the Chestnut Tree

We're doing a major renovation of a big old house, and in the process are ripping out quite a bunch of chestnut. Some of it is in pretty good condition, but the bulk of it is 3/4" tongue and groove paneling

- with "several" coats of paint on the face.

Is it worth the time/effort/$$$ to try and reclaim it? Just wondering. Neat wood - a few planks are nice and wormy too. (Those I'll definitely keep.)

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

There's not much chestnut left these days that is not salvaged and the last I saw a few years back was going, depending upon width, anywhere from $4 - $8/bf. Probably higher now, but definitely worth saving what you can, IMO. Personally, I would take it all, and find a place to store it.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Wilson

The more I read about it, the more I'm looking forward to working with it. The house was acquired by it's namesake in 1862, but I'm not sure exactly when it was built. Apparently sometime when Chestnut trees were still around.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Definitely worth nothing. Too hazardous to burn, even, with all that paint. Tell you what I'll do, though. Tell me where you're piling it up, and I'll work on disposing of it for you for, what say, $100/ton as hazmat. :')

If you're gonna be pig-headed about it :>') you could pass it through a stripper bath, scan it for metal, plane it, and make some really handsome things from it.

John

Reply to
John Barry

Definitely good to keep. I have been looking for some chestnut, hopefully I'll build a chestnut casket before I die. :-)

Reply to
Phisherman

Rather than using a planer and sharpening knives (or chemicals) you might consider an abrasive planer which uses sanding belts. Un-fazed by paint or the occasional nail.

Reply to
Tchswoods