wood model making

Page 2 of 2

It was much neater before my web host had a server meltdown and I lost my SQL database. On top of everything else I'm trying to rebuild the place to some semblance of what it was before.
But yeah, the T-O-M is a lot of fun. I bought the "Frostruder" attachment for it, which should allow me to make edible models... Need to find time to hook that puppy up.
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

On 4/20/2012 8:50 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:

So you could make a cake and eat it too. ;~)

Repeatedly!
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Can you use a 3d printer?
On 4/19/2012 1:53 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Could you repeat that for me one more time? ;~)

http://www.micromark.com /

Thank you. Someone who offered help.
Steve

Many "model-sized" power tools are more expensive and just as limiting as the full sized tools. Model building is one place where you have to know the limitations of your tools and not exceed them.
Before you make your model, you will need to buy a scale ruler for the scale you intend to use. I'd suggest one for model railroading because they're easily available, and if you build to one of those scales you can buy accessories and parts if you desire. Sometimes having a scale person can help you figure out how much space you actually have.
Time to visit a hobby shop. Even Hobby Lobby will have some useful material.
I've no idea what you're building, but you may want to look into using sheet styrene instead of wood. You don't have to worry about grain or splits along it, and the material works pretty well with many standard woodworking hand tools.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Does it have to be made of wood? Why? The more time you spend on a non working model, the less time you have to spend on the actual development. Is a non working model really that important? Is there already something out there that is close in shape of concept that could substitute for this model, or could an existing shape be easily modified?
--

It would help if you could say what the reason is for needing this model.
It could be fashioned in minutes from molding clay, or even PlayDoh, for

You are right. But, I've seen architects models of projects with those little trees and cars and lawn furniture and the 300# guy walking the Yorkie that's taking a dump. I always wondered where the supermarket for those things were.
Hence, the question.
I guess it was just past some people's capabilities.
I have decided to make a model purely out of wood, having snagged a nice new sander at a yard sale for $25. It only has to be close for demonstration purposes.
Steve

Would you like a refund?
There's some good advice in this thread and some bad advice. There's some stuff that looks useless now but may be useful later and there's some stuff that's always going to be useless. Welcome to Usenet.
For detail parts (trees, cars, etc), visit your local hobby shop. They might have it in stock, but chances are they'll have to order it from Walthers. (You can order it directly from Walthers yourself, but if the LHS orders it you often don't have to pay shipping.) Hobby Shops are a local niche business and there's very few big ones. Check the yellow pages and Walthers Dealer Locator.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

"Puckdropper" <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote

Ya gotta love usenet.
Steve
Perhaps you modify an old vehicle from the wreckers?
--------- "Steve B" wrote in message You are right. But, I've seen architects models of projects with those little trees and cars and lawn furniture and the 300# guy walking the Yorkie that's taking a dump. I always wondered where the supermarket for those things were.