Wood measurements

I bought some 3/4" plywood fir for a shelf in my cabinet. I was looking for something to high the end bands. The store had lost of pine that looked abuot right but it was 1/2". So I kept going in circles between isles trying to find the 3/4" pine to put on the end of this plywood. After about an hour I decided to just grap the piece that looked right.

Turns out the 1/2" solid wood is the same thickness as the 3/4" plywood. This wouldn't be the first odd measurement I have found like 3/4 is really 5/8... What am I missing here?

Reply to
dnoyeB

It sounds to me like the 1/2" wood was mislabeled.

If you're looking for a piece of wood 3/4" thick, you should be buying

1" stock (sometimes called 4/4). They plane off exactly 1/4", leaving you with 3/4".

Josh

Reply to
Josh

Josh may be right about the mislabel. But ply's funny like that. Depending on where it's from (You never said where you purchased it, but it sounded like the borg), 3/4 is more like 23/32nds, 1/2 is around

15/32nds (or 12 mm, now I'm getting confused). Bring a tape measure in with you the next time. You'll be surprised at the variables, even from sheet to sheet, sometimes. Tom
Reply to
tom

It is helpful to carry a measuring tape when shopping for lumber. Don't believe the tag.

Reply to
Phisherman

It is also useful to carry calipers in your pocket. This will give you a more accurate measurement of thickness.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Order edge banding from Woodworkers Supply, etc. Sand the edges nicely and iron it on. It stands up surprisingly well and is easy to repair. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

I'll add: carry your FRACTIONAL calipers to the store. It's kinda a PITA to convert .237 to 32nds while shopping. :)

Dave

Reply to
David

Maybe that was it. I bought 1" wood and it matched the 3/4 plywood. Just dont know why it was labelled like that. I got it mostly at lowes.

Reply to
dnoyeB

That's because wood is sold by its nominal dimensions, i.e. the dimensions before drying and surface-planing. If you buy 1-inch (four-quarter) rough-sawn lumber, you'll get lumber that is actually one inch thick, or pretty close to it. But when you're buying lumber that's already been surface-planed, nominal one-inch lumber has been planed down to a thickness of 3/4". The actual dimensions of a one-by-two are 3/4 by 1-1/2, a two-by-four is 1-1/2 by 3-1/2, and so on.

Reply to
Doug Miller