Wood for vise faces

I found one of the $29.99 Record 52 7" vises at Big Lots, so I'll be mounting it and putting faces on it. Next question: What wood for faces?

Rock maple seems a natural choice. Any other suggestions? Should thickness be 5/4 or 6/4 or so... at least 1" true thickness?

TIA,

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Just about any hardwood that is available would be okay. I've used both white oak and ash in mine and coated them with some Watco.

As for thickness. If you're considering use bench dogs, the posts are typically 3/4" so you'll want the movable face to be at least 2" thick. Laminate up 3, 3/4" thick pieces if you can't find any thicker stock. If bench dogs are not an issue, 3/4" faces will work just fine.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Hard maple is fine. The thicker you make the faces, the less available opening you have. I used scrap that was about 5/8" to 3/4".

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Hi, Kevin

The main purpose of the wooden faces (cheek-pieces) is to prevent marring of the workpiece. To this end, the softer the wood, the better - I use pine. Make sure that the faces are clean and that the screws used to secure the faces to the vice are countersunk well below the level of the wood.

As to thickness, the thicker your cheek-pieces, the less capacity your vice will have. I use 1/2" stuff. You don't need more.

HTH

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

I use 3/4 imbuia for both vises. It is naturally a bit waxy, so glue doesn't stick too badly. It's hard like maple. Soft wood is fine for some uses, but I use the vise to press fit wood parts [mostly wheels on dowel axles -- I make wood toys], so I need a hard wood. harrym

Reply to
HarryM

I also went with pine 2 1/2" thick. I made it thick so I could extend it

3" past the right edge of the vise to give me a longer verticle grasp past the guides. I may swap it with some Beech, or Ash someday but now Pine was the only thick piece I had.

Other Brother Kevin

Reply to
Other Brother Kevin

walnut would be nice....i used rock maple myself but considered walnut, beautiful wood but not as durable and afforementioned maple

Reply to
Jonny Durango

I used 3/4" oak because that's what was in the scrap pile. It's been heavily used for over 10 years. I made it such that the top of the wood (vise) comes in contact first, ever so slightly. Pallet wood would work just fine too. Finish it with some Watco or varnish to make it glue resistant.

Reply to
Phisherman