Wood For TV Stand

Greetings,
I've decided our HD Projection TV needs to be higher off the floor. The set weighs 150lbs and the base is 50"x22". The stand will be 51"x23"x17". Vertical supports on the ends and two in the "middle", 18" from each end. The verticals will have 3/4" hardwood on the top and bottom ends (which go into rabbits on top and base) for securing TeeNuts. 1/4-20 screws through the top and base into the verticals.
I hope this shows up. :o) ______________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | | ------------------------------
The unit will be finished with black laminate, so the raw wood's apprearance is immaterial.
My thoughts; I'm not a big fan of MDF. Oak and birch ply are going "overboard" For the small difference in price and weight, I feel 3/4" is better then 5/8". I'm considering 3/4" BC.
I'd appreciate your thoughts/comments. Did I miss something? And other ideas, considerations?
Thanks,
Dave
Did you see mine I just posted on ABPW?? It is a real bute!
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com
Drk wrote:

Cabinet grade birch. It'll stay flatter, is stronger, and you won't have to mess with surface defects that WILL telegraph through the laminate.
Personally, I'd just us MDF.

BC is not going to provide you with a consistent enough surface. Just use the MDF.
IMO this is "non-heirloom" furniture for a couple of reasons: 1) black laminate. 2) The sole purpose of the piece is to support an appliance which will likely be replaced inside of a decade with something a different size and shape.
MDF probably is the right choice for this application.
-Steve

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 07:21:46 -0500, "Stephen M"

local lumberyard...not the Borgs. __________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
@comcast.net says...

I was trying to imply I would be using 4mikeA. Melamine would not hold up.
Thanks,
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Wow, I stopped by a Home Depot (not the one I normally go to). They had 15 ply 3/4" Birch for $30.00!
Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments... It's sawdust time :o)
Regards,
Dave
I bought a sheet of that just a few days ago. Just making a storage box. Was to be assembled with pocket screws. Wouldn't hold a screw. The vaneer was so thin that sanding with 180 grit went through it. Low price for a reason.

CW wrote:

Did you try the coarse thread (softwood) pocket screws?
If so, never mind... <G>
Yes.