Wood Comparision Chart

Has anyone ever posted a decent list of the various woods along with their characteristics and common uses in a way that will allow one to compare and decide which material is best for a particular project?

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

There are a number of sites on the web. The link below is one for common domestic lumber. They also have a page for exotic lumber.

Click on the hardwood's name to see its characteristics.

Nova

That's a pretty broad question "various woods","characteristics", "common uses" and "which is best for a particular project" - and you want a "list"? Bruce Hoadley has a pretty fat book that has most of what you may be asking for. But there's a a lot of "characteristics" for wood - specific gravity, radial and tangential expansion / contraction percentages, compression and tension strenghths, glue-ability, hardness, bendability, grain, durability, . . .

Can you be a bit more specific about some "particular project"s youhave in mind?

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

I'm sure that there are many, but this is the best that I have found.

Glen

I've found to sometimes be helpful. The distinctions it makes aren't super precise (for example it lumps douglas fir with lignum vitae for hardness) and it's list of woods is a bit eclectic, but nonetheless it can be helpful.

Reply to
J. Clarke