Why Is There Wreck?

Call me an asshole, but I just think that's utter pre-sweetened nonsense. In ANY group of people you'll find an array personality types. Plus, one man's good natured dude is another man's prick. But you keep tellin yerself such things if it makes ya feel good ;-)

Joe Barta (as I hear a few distant plonking noises in the background)

Reply to
Joe Barta

You're new to the whole stereotyping thing, aren't you? ;)

RicodJour

You mean, like, I've been PROFILED? Profiled as polite and easy going? I'm not sure if I'm liking that. We'll see how it goes.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Brokeback Mountain fan, are you?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Surely you can do better than that.

(Didn't see the movie, so I suppose it's possible that this was more than just a lame dig and I'm just not getting it. Yes, I know it's about gay cowboys or something, but beyond that...?)

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

You're just not getting it. No worries.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Let's see. I've got the tools and the machines so don't need recomendations. - anymore.

Can cut dovetails with the JoinTech fence, templates, bits and router table, as well as with handsaws, both push and pull, chisels and a mallet.

Know how to do proper stock prep - and not get maimed or killed by the machines.

Learned about parts marking and reference faces, edges and ends.

Acquired and went through DiCristafora's book on many, but certainly not all, ways to stick two pieces of wood together. Understand which are to be used when and can make many of them. In the process confirmed "suggestions" provided by wreckers about layout tools and their uses.

Probably contributed significantly to Steve Knight's daughter's college fund. Woodies are addictive.

Found out about BLO grain popping and the wonders of bug spit - shellac.

Know about Krenov and have his books, along with Nakashima - have his book too. And Maloof - and have a couple of books about his stuff - has he written a book?

Make dumb mistakes and know I'm not the first to make any of them

Know how to turn most of my mistakes into "features".

Know what DAMHIKT and SWMBO mean. Same for Pooh Suit, The Cabal and Galoot.

Was inspired by the work - and attitude of people I would probably not known about except for The Wreck.

Was introduced to a lot of interesting design considerations.

The list goes on and on.

So for me, that's Why The Wreck.

Now that I know everything and can do everything - except finishing - but I'm reading every thread on the subject - I now have an obligation to tell everyone what to do and how to do it - the "right" way"! (just kidding - but if I can get a newbie to say "Hell, if even he can do it, then I sure as hell can." I'll be putting back a little of what I've gotten from this place).

I do miss Walt's tales and wonder what Helga is doing. And if Mr. Watson takes his leave, what will become of the literary part of The Wreck?

Still lots to learn - about wood working and enjoying life in general. This is a good place to get that stuff.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Every time I learn something new, I usually also learn how much more there is that I don't know.

I've learned a ton here. I hope I can help those newer than I, so those who took the time to teach me can take a break from the repetitiveness.

From where I sit, there's still much to learn from the 'wreck.

I've also met some nice folks in person, thanks to the 'wreck.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Baaaaaaaahhhd.

(but really, really funny)

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Ok guys, now I'm interested in "getting" the joke... can you let me in on it without my needing to go see the movie? Is it a "gay thing" between woodworkers? C'mon... hook a brotha up.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

esnppered///// for the sake of brevity...........

As a newbie woodworker ( recent start when a I was forced to retire 6 yrs ago due to heart problems) and who has learned much from -almost- ALL the contributors to this group, and who hopes to learn much much more from the vast collective/storehouse knowledge contained in the heads of the members of this group .. and the ' Reck comaradrie in general; I, (infected with the woodworkers dream of replacing all furniture in our house with self made stuff):- add as well, a "Well said Tom"!!! Carry on y'all with the discussions and ideas.

IMHO. This is the MOST VALUABLE GROUP on usenet. Lets keep it free of stuff, like negativity, etc, that deters from the exchange of knowledge that has often ruined so many other groups! And Okay, Okay, I canna spel so good, and I dinna look so hansome as JT who can !

. Groggins

Reply to
Groggins

Tom's posts always remind me of a kid from the neighborhood where I grew up. When we were about 9 years old and he was about 11 years old and was the self proclaimed "Best Baseball Player" in the neighborhood. We played slow pitch ball at the school field and he took great delight on being able to hit home runs. Most of us tried out for Little League and played on competitive teams in a league with real rules and fast pitch. The "King" would never go to tryouts and continued to play with 9-10 year olds when he was 12-14.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

Too bad I was away for three days.

I did an installation in Toronto on Friday, went to visit some friends, and we had a whole lot of fun.

Upon my return home, I read this entire thread. (Balderstone owes me a keyboard.)

I like the Wreck the way it is in all its diversity, warts and all.

Leave it alone.. it's fine.

Robatoy

Res Ipsa Loquitur.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

I am sorry that you were never very good at baseball.

I also find it to be unfortunately appropriate that you post from "Yahoo".