Why I Hate Garage Doors In A Shop

Page 2 of 2
Charlie Self wrote:

You can quickly find them by running your hand over a project to check for smoothness. ;) I've got a large supply of craft paints so I sanded the thing down and touched it with a paint to match before sealing. I'm not sure if it was the best method, but it worked. I don't know how long that will hold up, though.
On 03 Jun 2004 16:33:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:
|Grant Beagle responds: | |>'m laughing with you, not at you! I dumped the carcass of a large dresser |>that I |>am building for SWMBO onto my table saw the same way. The saw was unhurt,|>but |>there is a big dent in an edge (a front edge of course) of the dresser.| |Always the front edge. I've got a small letter box that proves that rule. It is |the only project where a screw-up is on the back edge. Everything else that |I've screwed up has been wildly obvious--at least to me. |
Sorry to hear of your mishap(s). I share your pain.
When my dad still was alive and running his automotive machine shop I used to give him a hand on the weekends.
One day I assembled a little four-banger industrial engine for him and raised it off the bench with the roll-around hoist to finish spray painting the bottom. Finished with that I started to roll it out of the way and had the wheels catch in the expansion groove in the concrete floor. The engine started to swing and the CG moved outside the support zone and over it went.
Now this could have just been a 283 Chevy with an easily replaced steel oil pan but noooo.... this had to be a damn near one-of-a-kind engine with a *cast iron* oil pan. Fortunately, the customer was very understanding and we managed to braze up the cracks and machine the pan rails flat and save the day.
Wes
message

Gary responds:

Reminds me of repairing a whole house fan I had in the shop. Had the motor in my hand, foot slipped on a joist, motor zipped on through the louvers. Where did it light? Right on my Unifence, of course.
Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

The formal statement of _The_Law_of_Perverse Statistics_ is:
"The probability of the bread falling butter-side down is inversely proportional to the value of the carpet."
Unless it is strapped to the back of a cat.... <grin>

EVEN IF the Law of Perverse Statistics is strapped to the back of a cat, it still reads the same. <muffled guffaw>
As for the other scenario, I'll just suggest that the "Harvard Law of Sociological Research" applies:
'Under the most rigorously controlled conditions of temperature, pressure, and humidity, the organism will do as it d*mn well pleases.'
Glad to hear you're ok. Careful out there!
Kevin
--
=====

"Charlie Self" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme> wrote in message
Glad you're OK Charlie...machinery can be replaced....
Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Charlie Self" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme> wrote in message
On 03 Jun 2004 13:31:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Kind of a strange irony in the above sig line there Charlie.
Not beating on you, we all do things like that every once in a while, most of us are still alive and mostly un-maimed mostly by the grace of God, not because we are that all-fired smart or alert 100% of the time. Glad to hear you weren't injured and that no major damage occured.
That's why I installed a roll-up door when I built my shop, 300$ at the Borg for 8' x 7'. Easy to install and only extends into the shop 18" or so. Jim A.