Why do i need a jointer?

Page 1 of 3
Seriously........Why does one need a jointer??
I have made a beautiful desk, and other furniture that have stood up to over 20 years of my abuse. I always buy my rough lumber with one side cut straight, and I take it home to plane, and then rip on my "General" contractors table saw. I use old fashioned pipe clamps to hold my boards in place while gluing. When I take the boards to a local saw shop for sanding even,. they always comment on how straight and even they are ( and i don't use any type of biscuits or doweling). I will purchase a jointer if u can tell me what benefits there are in having one. I have wondered this for quite some years, and am hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance.
--
Roger J. Matye

A woman is just a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke !

To make straight and flat, things that are not. There are other ways of achieving the same result.

If you're happy with the results you're getting without it, then you don't need one.
Roger M. wrote:

I am sorry, I do not understand your question. Are you asking what the purpose of a jointer is? I don't think so; I would imagine someone with said 20 years of build well knows the purpose of a jointer. Are you asking if it is right for you? How would we know? You haven't even listed your needs?
Or are you being "clever" and criticizing those who do use a jointer?
What is the purpose of your challenge?
PK
Paul Kierstead wrote:

I think he's somewhere between wanting to be a provocateur and seeking an enabler.
At least that's the way it read to me. He did a lousy job with it either way.
UA100, who hasn't used his jointer in a year or so but that's onna 'count of the motor is sitting on the floor...

So, pick it up!
Barry

But, it's heavy.
UA100

Get help!
Barry
Ba r r y wrote:

Just kneel down. It's a lot easier. Trust me (old Swedish saying).     j4

Like sikotherapee?
UA100
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:31:22 -0500, Paul Kierstead

I would assume that someone with 20 years of building experience would know that "u" is not a word.
Brian Henderson wrote:

Well, actually, it *is* a word in at least one language. It means "or" in Spanish, if it comes before a word starting with the letter O. As in, "uno u otro."
In English, however, it is generally indicative of someone who's even more whippersnapperier than I am; 20-somethings and teenies. It's these punk new generation kiddies with their stupid online gaming who are changing the shape of our language 4ever. I fear u and i are fighting a l00zin9 battl3, and all these w0rdz are going to make it into the dictionary sooner, rather than l8tr. Then we wont be able to win "that's not a word" arguments, and these punks will dance on the grave of what used to be a respectable and dignified language.
"Silvan"

the
battl3,
rather
u r rite.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Each new generation is a reflection of the one that raised it.
probably true but I fear there was precious little "raising" done by most our my/our contemporaries. Too few people know or understand that "parent" is both a noun and verb.
wrote:

more
the
battl3,
rather
and
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:48:29 -0600, "Doug Brown"

We hire a good number of people straight out of school. Most of them do not reflect your view. The ratio is at least as good as it was 20 years ago.
"GregP" wrote in message

Maybe before the Gutenberg Press ... but mass media and instant communication are distorting that "reflection" with increasing speed since.
Makes you wonder what reflection the "eParenting" generation will cast.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

If that is truly your attitude towards raising your children (and if you do have children, I suspect that it's not), then you have abrogated your responsibilities. Each generation has had cause to blame things beyond their control.
"GregP" wrote in message

since.
Can I buy some of whatever it is you're taking?
Where/how the hell do you get that is "your attitude towards raising your children" from my above reply??
Or is it "a reflection of the way you were raised" that would cause such a convoluted, way-out-in-left-field interpretation?
Sheeesh!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Too much work to do thru the holidays...you can have as much of it as you want :-)

Well, it sounded like the complaint you see all of the time that the media is corrupting our youth. If they have been instilled with decent values, that is not anywhere near as likely to happen than if they weren't. YMMV. But if that's not where you were going, I apologize.
"GregP" wrote in message

If that is what you meant, I apologize also ... didn't look like it, but I certainly agree with what you say above.
I've almost finished raising two ... if you ever do "finish" that job, that is. A good example of the media's "influence" is the recent outcry about Abercrombie & Fitch and their catalog aimed at the teen market a year or so back. My youngest, 19 now, while she didn't fall for it, had lot's of friends who did ... or parents who didn't care, or notice, or who ignored it.
That's not to say that I did not feel that I had to "refresh" her training a bit on the matter, so we had a discussion about what I felt was "wrong" with pitching sex to young teens in advertisements.
I also reinforced, at the time, that she could spend her own money where she wished, but that _my_ money was not going to be spent supporting the type of thinking and values that company portrayed in their advertisements ... and I that I would be disappointed if she did not feel the same way.
As far as I know, she has never been back to A & F.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04