Who to blame

I want to mark the things I make so down the road someone will know who to blame (or praise). I thought go simple and use a permanent marker but that may be too simple. Carving takes too much time.
What do you do?
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 09:36:55 -0800, Electric Comet wrote:

For small stuff, I use an archival pen, available at art supply stores. For the big stuff I use a branding iron and then use the pen to add the date. Others have epoxied in a new penny for the date.
"Electric Comet" wrote in message

If I mark something, I usually just write my name and the year in pencil in an inconspicuous place... sometimes with a coat of poly or shellac over it if it could be smeared in handling.

Ditto ... mainly so if I see it again, and it looks familiar, I will be able to tell if I made it.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/20/2014 11:36 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

People that get/buy my pieces do not forget who built them, I suspect that will hold true for you too. Going overboard to see to it that some one that identifies your work long after you are gone are not going to think much about the answer. Seems more than a signature is more work than will be appreciated, IMHO.
On 12/20/2014 12:48 PM, Leon wrote:

Stamp it with an IKEA logo and drive people nuts when they go to find a copy for their own home.
On 20/12/2014 11:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Good one!! The great US potter Warren Mackenzie stopped signing his work so that it would encourage people to use the items rather than collect for investment. Shoji Hamada didn't sign his as a sign of humility. Graham
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 17:41:53 +0000 (UTC)

Will have to look at that.

You mean a monogram branding iron? That might work. I think signing any work gives it a little something. Makes it look more legit?? I guess it's a case of perception.

If the pen works I may use that.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 11:41:05 -0800, Electric Comet wrote:

Be sure and get two. One with white ink for dark woods.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:24:12 -0700

Ok, when folks start collecting mine I'll not sign them.

He was humiliated by his signature? Maybe it was just a huge PITA to write the japanese characters. (kanji?)
On 20/12/2014 7:42 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

No!!! It was a Bhudist philosophy. Graham
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:22:41 -0500

Then you bring the wrath of the trademark attorneys down on your head when the person calls IKEA and tells them about the IKEA product that they just have to have.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:08:42 -0600

I will put the type of wood also on turnings.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 20:35:16 -0700

Ok, well I like to know the wood at least for turnings. And for gifts the year can be nostalgic. Whether or not anyone knows it was me is actually not relevant to me even though I titled this thread as-if it mattered.
Many people like to know the wood type for things it seems. Try selling someone a spurtle without telling them the wood type. There's a reflexive "what kind of wood is this?".
On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 01:12:44 +0000 (UTC)

Maybe I'll take the usual cheap route and get one gold (or silver) and try that for light or dark woods.