Who said there are "no stupid questions"? (example: Is wood wood?)

Hello Group, I have access to several large oaks and some of the limbs are large, about 12 (or more)inches in diameter. The trunks are rotted out so they will be used as firewood. Anyway, my question relates to the limbs; Is there any difference in using limb wood for projects such as railings, table legs, posts, etc.? I would think that it there will be no difference compared to using a 12 inch trunk. Any comments? Thanks in advance, Marc

the rings are tight on one side, loose on the other. Two entirely different kinds of wood in working properties. http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/fplgtr113.htm Has some really good stuff about the nature of wood that can help you.
I'm thinking there will be a lot of stress built in...causes bowing when sawn. Wilson

On a limb, the underside will be in compression and the top-side will be in tension. When you mill - you will be releasing those forces and most likely will bow. If you have a lathe, cut some and use it for turnings.
Bob S.

Thanks guys, I think I'll make all of the trees firewood and try for some straight sections of trunks when i get more trees. I never gave the compression/tension relationship any thought. Thanks again, Marc

me.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing