Who Actually Makes Craftsman Mitre Saws?

I'm thinking about buying a 12" dual compound mitre saw...non-sliding type. Laser guide is OK but not a must-have. Is there any consensus as to who makes the BEST compound mitre saws.....and which company furnishes Sears?

I presently have a Delta 10" non-compound. Good, dependable saw but I keep needing the bevel function, and a wider cut would have come in handy several times.

Reply to
Josh

Well err uh ummm... Festool makes the best compound miter saw. But it is a slider and you would be the envy of most every one here if you got it and you would be about $1,500 poorer.

I have had a 12" Delta compound miter saw and probably should not recommend it. The guard continues to break.

I would seriously look at Makita or Milwaukee if looking for something that will last other than the Festool of course.

Reply to
Leon

Jaysus! ...some pricey stuff. Do their tools come with a woman?

nb

Reply to
notbob

I have had a Delta 12 Compound, non-slider for about 10-11 years and I still love it. I keep thinking the angle index method is a little cheesy but it continues to work well. Only complaint is the dust port isn't very good. In addition to day to day home shop use, it has finished a full basement, and now, most of our newer house.

Can't Complain.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

They tried that for awhile, but there were too many complaints that just made the saws even more expensive in the long run. Geez, the phone bill alone will kill ya.

Reply to
DGDevin

If you trust magazine reviews Bosch and Makita seem to do the best there.

Reply to
DGDevin

Do you actually have one Leon? I know you've got some other Festool stuff like the Domino and the vacuum, but I wasn't aware that you'd bought the mitre saw. And, if you do have one, what differences have you found when comparing it to other mitre saws?

Reply to
Upscale

No unfortunately I have not purchased the saw but have done the next best thing, fondled one.

What I like.

  1. Compared to other miter saws, it is quiet.
  2. Relatively light weight, 47 lbs.
  3. Bevel angle is not a crap shoot, there is a twist handle that allows you fine tune the bevel angle accurately and it has a Large bevel scale.
  4. It includes a angle finder tool that measures an angle and then allows you to set the miter angle of the saw with out having to read angle numbers or do any math.
  5. Dust collection is great when used with a vac. You can use it inside a customer house.
  6. Depth of cut control.
  7. Requires less space to operate than most slider miter saws. You can place the back of the saw against a wall and leave it there.
  8. On board tool and cord storage.
  9. Electronic Variable Speed for various material types and to maintain speed when cutting tough or thick materials.

Plus all the other things you would expect, laser, arbor lock, clamps, etc.

Reply to
Leon

That new Big Boy Milwaukee looks pretty cool for a LOT less money. Dunno much about it, but if feels very positive. It has enormous capacity and uses off-the-shelf blades. That is the one thing, besides price, I have put in the negative column when it comes to the Festool. Desirable? Hell yes!

Answer to the OP's original question: Craftsman has stuff built by all kinds of companies, some of those have no marketing of their own. An

8" mitre saw I own (Yes, it's a Craftsman, it was small, cheap, light and perfect for tossing around in the trucks... please don't whip me??) that particular saw was a spitting image of a Ryobi, and I am told that those two brands share a lot of products, but dunno which ones.
Reply to
Robatoy

Feel the love, fellas?? Leon's toast.

...jussssst a matter of time.... he's 95% there...looking for a gig/ excuse that would NEED that Festool saw.....

Reply to
Robatoy

That new Big Boy Milwaukee looks pretty cool for a LOT less money. Dunno much about it, but if feels very positive. It has enormous capacity and uses off-the-shelf blades. That is the one thing, besides price, I have put in the negative column when it comes to the Festool. Desirable? Hell yes!

Not knocking your views in any way but while the Festool may require use of its own brand blades, I am sure they could be resharpened several times. And IMHO considering the Festool name I don't think that they are any/much more expensive that any other quality brand blade.

Annnnnd there is that "price" thing of the saw. LOL

Reply to
Leon

I've had Delta and Craftsman miter saws and have a 12" and a ten inch Craftsman at the moment with the laser disc things (still working on the older 10" but mot on the newer (1 year old) 12"). Both are compound miter saws.

When used carefully, one can do pretty decent work with them. As grandpa said "'tis a poor workman what blames his tools." But I find the workpiece moving after the cut is through, as if one of the rests were "off" and the "held" workpiece snapped back when the right hand section was cut off.

I like the way they stand behind their tools. The ten-inch I am using now was a free exchange for the previous one which I had some troubles with.

I also buy the discounted tools from their clearance racks. Stuff another customer tok home to try and decided against, or opened the box and lost a wrench or manual and so on. I used to hit their Outlet Centers a lot and built quite a collection of sockets and wrenches that way (and for cheap).

As another has said here, it would appear that Sears tools are Makita, Ryobi, etc and so forth depending upon the tool. Often indistinguishable but for the Sears name or logo where the other might have been and the color scheme. Then again, they sell tools that look nothing like the name sakes of the company producing them - their C3

19.2 volt stuff (which I use and like).

Now, I am a hobbyist and use these tools infrequently. I do not make my living with the tools I own - rather I reduce my grandchildren's inheritance with each acquisition.

Sorry kids, less inheritance from Gramps and more debt from Uncle

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

I recall following a thread from another forum on a similar "who makes bandsaws for Craftsman? " ( the suspect was Rikon) It pointed to a Google Search, which I am currently too lazy and tired to check into - hey it's Thursday, had a rough week - anyway the gist of it was that somewhere in the Sears' part number was a code that designated the real source of the tool. FWIW

Reply to
d.williams

Nah, much better than a woman for all those usual reasons except......

don't get randy and wave your privates anywhere near it if it's turned on

- only do that with a woman. (Unless her name is Bobbet)

Reply to
Stuart