While we're discussing hand saws ...

I'm about to start making jigs and practicing new techniques (new to me, that is) on scrap before I start making my end tables.
One of the things I'll need to do is to cut out the 1"x1" notches in the mitered edges of these "frame" pieces
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/16877714438/in/set-72157639547178715
The notches are to allow the tops of the legs to protrude through the table top:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/16851937401/in/album-72157639547178715/
No table saw. No band saw. I have a jig saw, but that wouldn't be nearly neat enough. So I figure to do them by hand. Any advice for a reasonably priced saw that can cut a nice clean line?
On 4/7/2015 2:45 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

First off, what kind of jig saw do you have. My Milwaukee with Bosch blades give my TS a run for its money for smoothness.
Alternatively score your top with a utility knife or sharp chisel, hog out most of the wood with your jig saw and then chisel the rest.
On 4/7/2015 5:21 PM, Leon wrote:

I have a couple, but the better one is a very old Black and Decker. Probably '70s vintage. It has produced smoother cuts than I would have expected on the rare times I have used it. Another experiment to try I guess. Does anyone use a jigsaw with a fence?
On 4/7/2015 4:30 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I almost always use a small framers square as a fence for my Bosch, hand held.
Key to a good cut, as usual, is a sharp blade and a well setup tool.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

What, No Festool, Leon? I was shocked at what a difference a decent saw makes. I bought a Bosch several years ago and it's been great (no Festool here either ;-).

Greg Guarino wrote:

Go to the Harbor Freight web site.
http://tinyurl.com/5v3yu
Search for "Hand Saw".
Pick one of the flush cut pull saws for less than $10, buy one and practice on your scrap wood.
For $10 max, you could even but two (2) and run your own comparison tests.
You don't identify your jig saw but my Bosch 1587 with Bosch bi-metal blades still cuts a clean cut even after all these years.
Lew
On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 17:05:21 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

On 4/7/2015 6:33 PM, krw wrote:

LOL.. No I bought my last jig saw, the Milwaukee, about 15 years ago, before Festool was even on my radar. My Milwaukee was, at that time, built by the German company, AEG. Exactly like this one except red and silver. http://www.aeg-powertools.eu/woodworking/step-1200-bx/ The sales guy steered me from the Bosch towards this one mostly because of the superior blade change set up. With a smooth cutting Bosch blade it leaves a burnished edge when cross cutting oak. In aggressive mode it will cut a 2x4 as quickly as a circular saw,

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 11:33:01 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Just for fun, I tried to locate a local AEG dealer.
On the Store Locator page it says:
"Enter your street, town or postcode and country below to find your nearest stockist"
I entered my Zip Code followed by USA.
The Store Locator produced a Google map showing a location that is in the middle of our local airport, but an address that appears to be in Taiwan.
King Light Department Co., Ltd.     No. 226 Shin Ron Road Tau Jou Village Shin Woo, Taoyuan     Phone (0)3 490 31 86
Very Strange!
On 4/8/2015 11:06 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You might might find their tools here at all. IIRC they were building drills and tools for NASA 15~20 years ago. But they are located in Winnenden, Germany
http://www.aeg-powertools.eu/header/contact-us/

The Crown Tool saws aren't bad. They don't cut nearly as well as a Lie-Nielson Independance saw, but they're also a lot cheaper.
I'm going to guess the Veritas saw is also good, and still cheaper than the L-N - if only it wasn't so god-awful ugly.
John
On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 15:45:10 -0400

look at some of the work of paul sellers he does a lot of work by hand it'd be hard not to learn something from him