Which is the best 35MM hinge boring bit?

I recently purchased a cheap set of boring forstner bits. It had a hinge bit that looks really rough to begin with looks like a rough saw on the sides. I found it didn't do very well, even on a drill press (Max RPM 3800). So I need to find something better to use, I don't need anything to expensive, I don't plan on doing a lot of hinges. Thanks in advance.
Set the drill press to its slowest speed and bore another hole. See how that does.

Like CW has indicated, you need to be running the bit under 700-600 rpm and use a TRUE Forstner bit. Saw tooth bits are variations of the Forstner bits.
OK I will try that, Thanks once again Leon wrote:

My understanding is that a 1 3/8 inch standard forstner bit is an acceptable substitute for the 35mm. Works out to 34.925 mm. pretty darn close and a lot cheaper than the special metric one.

Precisely. I have never used a 35 mm bit on the hundreds of 35 mm hinges that I have installed. I have always used 1-3/8".

At rockler the 35mm is cheaper than the 1 3/8, unless you get a carbide one. It has a shorter shaft.
-Leuf
If you plan on doing a lot of 35mm hinges, put out the approx. $30 for the Freud 13/8 carbide forstner bit. Works good and last a long time. Woodworker supply also has their own branded carbide forstners that are cheaper and probably just as good in a none production environment.

and

I've used a couple of different bits over time to bore for these hinges, mostly with acceptable results. Recently I bought a cheap bit at Lowes because I couldn't find the bit I had used last time I needed one (read: mess). I paid $11.00 for it and considered that at least it was cheap and that's the price I had to pay for letting things get out of hand in my garage. I bored a few holes with it and every one was flawless. No doubt in my mind I could get a lot more use out of it.
Lots of vague terms above... "a few", "a lot more". I can't really quantify those terms better with any accuracy. Suffice it to say that it's my experience that for occasional use this cheap 35mm bit is all that I'd need. If I were building cabinetry on a regular basis as a contractor, I probably wouldn't rely on this bit, but I'm not. I'm certain I could build an entire kitchen's worth of cupboards using it though.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
bdeditch wrote:

Generally speaking, with any bit, the bigger the bit the slower you want to run it.
Chris