Where do you set your chipbreaker?

I was taught to set it at 1/16 for a finish plane, but Chris Schwarz has other ideas.

Michael

That basically follows my earlier empirical observations plus learned early on that fitting it to the blade so there was no catching area was essential.

The reason to have to set it back so far to avoid clogging is that typically they don't fit precisely against the blade so there is a big (in relative terms compared to a shaving) gap there...

Reply to
dpb

That goes along with an Englishman (can't remember his name) preached the same years ago at a ww show.

I have not had luck getting them that tight. I still tear out.. I have a bench that the boards are glued up in opposite orientation. Even across the grain the maple is tearing out. I tried it, and it did not resolve the problem. Nasty, since even a scraper tears out the grain.

Reply to
woodchucker

That goes along with an Englishman (can't remember his name) preached the same years ago at a ww show.

I have not had luck getting them that tight. I still tear out.. I have a bench that the boards are glued up in opposite orientation. Even across the grain the maple is tearing out. I tried it, and it did not resolve the problem. Nasty, since even a scraper tears out the grain.

Reply to
woodchucker

Graham Blackburn? Art

Reply to
Artemus

And that's kinda the problem, isn't it? I mean with respect to clogging. The author goes on about hating chip breakers because they always clog, but if you mate them properly to the blade (absolutely NO gap!) they won't do that, and you can put them as close to the tip of the blade as you want to address the problem for which they were designed, which is minimizing tear-out. I spend as much time flattening and honing the mating surface of my chip breakers as I do flattening the backs of my plane blades, and I've never had a problem with clogging as long as the mating surfaces are correct.

Reply to
Steve Turner

On 10/11/2013 9:09 PM, Steve Turner wrote: ...

Well, yes; I was taught from the git-go that fitting the breaker to the blade was part of tuning up a plane...

Reply to
dpb

Ahhhh finally remember the guys name, Graham Blackburn. Was excellent at explaining the chip breaker being the absolute way to solve tearout.. of course I can't get it to work the way he did, and I next bought a bevel up Lee Valley jack... but he did work some very , very tough figured maple and no tearout during the show. so I think the guy is clearly a good guy to learn from.

Reply to
woodchucker

2 days after I post Blackburn's name you "remember" it? Aren't you special. Art
Reply to
Artemus

As an expert on what I believe, and someone who doesn't differentiate between 2 days and instantly, and who resorts to a DH0 level of argument, you're in a fine position to be calling others an idiot. Art

Reply to
Artemus

It happens.

Reply to
Steve Turner

"Englishman?" Geez... I think of him as a "Woodstocker." This as he lives near there... which is near here! Michael Puryear is in Shokan and Rob Hare is on Ulster Park... they're all over the place! ;~)

BTW, if anyone is looking for something to do in November Doug Stowe will be coming to my club for a couple events as follows below... join the club and join with Doug!

Instructor: Doug Stowe

Doug is from Arkansas and is the Fiske Lecturer for NWA on Thursday November 14, 2013, and author of the book "Basic Box Making" from Taunton Press. He's written many articles for FWW and done several DVDs also. In the past he was also here on the rec.

Experience Level for this Class:

Beginner to Expert

Friday, November 15, 2013 Doug will teach a design course on box making and will cover jigs and fixtures for making a mitered corner box. This would include fitting a top and bottom panel and assembly of a first box.

Saturday, November 16, 2013 Doug will make a couple of boxes using the jigs and fixtures made on Friday, and finish them with hinge installation using his story stick technique, fitting a pull or lift tab. Also on Saturday Doug will demonstrate making a dedicated finger joint jig and a finger jointed box using a router and base.

Class Date:

Friday November 15, 2013 Saturday November 16, 2013

Class Time is: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm with a break for lunch (on your own)

Location: Herman Finkbeiner Educational Center, 15 Solar Drive, Clifton Park, NY

12065

Parking:

There is ample parking directly in front of the building. The handicap parking places near the shop door are always available to those who have the proper handicap signs/plates.

Cost of Course: $65.00 for Friday $65.00 for Saturday

Materials and Supplies Needed:

NONE

Registration:

There are 15 seats available in this course for Friday and for Saturday. To reserve a spot in this course Email: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com. After you receive a registration confirmation Email, Make your checks payable to "NWA" and send them to:

NWA PO Box 246 Rexford, NY 12148

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

[...]

The post never made it here...

Reply to
phorbin

'just a terse indication that posts don't necessarily propagate everywhere.

Reply to
phorbin