Where do you set your chipbreaker?

I was taught to set it at 1/16 for a finish plane, but Chris Schwarz has other ideas.
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/reconsidering-chipbreakers-as-not-totally-evil
On 10/8/2013 3:09 PM, Michael wrote:

That basically follows my earlier empirical observations plus learned early on that fitting it to the blade so there was no catching area was essential.
The reason to have to set it back so far to avoid clogging is that typically they don't fit precisely against the blade so there is a big (in relative terms compared to a shaving) gap there...

On 10/8/2013 5:03 PM, dpb wrote:

And that's kinda the problem, isn't it? I mean with respect to clogging. The author goes on about hating chip breakers because they always clog, but if you mate them properly to the blade (absolutely NO gap!) they won't do that, and you can put them as close to the tip of the blade as you want to address the problem for which they were designed, which is minimizing tear-out. I spend as much time flattening and honing the mating surface of my chip breakers as I do flattening the backs of my plane blades, and I've never had a problem with clogging as long as the mating surfaces are correct.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 10/11/2013 9:09 PM, Steve Turner wrote: ...

Well, yes; I was taught from the git-go that fitting the breaker to the blade was part of tuning up a plane...

On 10/11/2013 10:09 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Ahhhh finally remember the guys name, Graham Blackburn. Was excellent at explaining the chip breaker being the absolute way to solve tearout.. of course I can't get it to work the way he did, and I next bought a bevel up Lee Valley jack... but he did work some very , very tough figured maple and no tearout during the show. so I think the guy is clearly a good guy to learn from.
--
Jeff

2 days after I post Blackburn's name you "remember" it? Aren't you special. Art

As an expert on what I believe, and someone who doesn't differentiate between 2 days and instantly, and who resorts to a DH0 level of argument, you're in a fine position to be calling others an idiot. Art

The post never made it here...
On 10/14/2013 10:29 PM, phorbin wrote:

It happens.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
says...

'just a terse indication that posts don't necessarily propagate everywhere.
On 10/8/2013 4:09 PM, Michael wrote:

That goes along with an Englishman (can't remember his name) preached the same years ago at a ww show.
I have not had luck getting them that tight. I still tear out.. I have a bench that the boards are glued up in opposite orientation. Even across the grain the maple is tearing out. I tried it, and it did not resolve the problem. Nasty, since even a scraper tears out the grain.
--
Jeff

Graham Blackburn? Art
NWA PO Box 246 Rexford, NY 12148