where can I find this machine screw?

Page 2 of 2

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:38:09 -0800, the inscrutable Steve Knight
I said:

But what'd they say about bulk pricing on 2.25" brass, the size you want?
--
Put some color in your cheeks: Garden Naked!
------

Hell, they're brass. Jig it up on the bandsaw and cut 8 at once. Sanding goes quickly. You or some kid you hire will be done in an hour.
--
Put some color in your cheeks: Garden Naked!
------

that's not a bad idea really bit I think I will stick with ss. I like panhead over the round head and they are easy to get anywhere.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Try one of these - very handy! http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/screwboltshear.php

cool I knew there had to be something. do you hit it with a hammer?
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Hammer or press, it works very nice. Dave

Used something like that several decades ago, but haven't seen them since. The one I used was a bit smaller, and we used it with a vise or press. Could cut a number of screws at once. GerryG

WOW, 10 messages, not counting this one, and one answer! WIlson

Get it in 2.5 and trim down to 2.25??
John
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:47:00 -0800, Steve Knight

you offering to do 300 or so a year for me?? (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

With a milling machine and a jig, you could do it pretty quickly. Block 2.25" thick, drilled and tapped. Screws in from the bottom, mill the ends off. No muss, no fuss. Beats playing bandsaw games...
Dave Hinz

if I only had a milling machine (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

How many a year are we talking about? And what part of the world are you in? I've got a bench-top mill that I don't use, next to my big mill...

about 300 or so. here in Portland Oregon and I could use a mill. can you use planes? so many things I want to do so few tools (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

The mill is in Milwaukee and I'd think you could find as good of a mill locally for less than shipping would cost. But, let me mock up a jig and see if it will do what I think it will do before we go further. Did you say these are stainless, or brass screws that you're trying to trim?
Dave