where can I find this machine screw?

I can get 2.5" long ones for .40 each. stainless about .21 each 2.25" long

Reply to
Steve Knight

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:21:42 -0800, the inscrutable Steve Knight spake:

Make a jig and let your SWMBO hacksaw and file 'em. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

But what'd they say about bulk pricing on 2.25" brass, the size you want?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:38:09 -0800, the inscrutable Steve Knight spake:

Hell, they're brass. Jig it up on the bandsaw and cut 8 at once. Sanding goes quickly. You or some kid you hire will be done in an hour.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

With a milling machine and a jig, you could do it pretty quickly. Block 2.25" thick, drilled and tapped. Screws in from the bottom, mill the ends off. No muss, no fuss. Beats playing bandsaw games...

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hammer or press, it works very nice. Dave

Teamcasa

Reply to
GerryG

that's not a bad idea really bit I think I will stick with ss. I like panhead over the round head and they are easy to get anywhere.

Reply to
Steve Knight

if I only had a milling machine (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight

How many a year are we talking about? And what part of the world are you in? I've got a bench-top mill that I don't use, next to my big mill...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

about 300 or so. here in Portland Oregon and I could use a mill. can you use planes? so many things I want to do so few tools (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight

So don't. Put a nut on before cutting. After cutting run the nut off. There, the thread is back where it's supposed to be (or nearly enough to use).

Reply to
Bill

The mill is in Milwaukee and I'd think you could find as good of a mill locally for less than shipping would cost. But, let me mock up a jig and see if it will do what I think it will do before we go further. Did you say these are stainless, or brass screws that you're trying to trim?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That's what I'm thinking with a drilled/tapped block, it'll form the thread back into shape when you back the screws out of it. Steve, will the ends of these bolts be visible in your finished product? If there's a burr there, will that need to be cleaned up?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

no you won't see them so as long as they thread in easily it does not matter what they look like.

Reply to
Steve Knight