what type of wood is it

i have this wood flooring and all the info i get from the wood stamp is

Stand S grn (N) W Hem 114 Can you help me Jaf

Reply to
jaf

Obviously the person with the lumber stamp is suffering from depression and needs a psychologist.

Reply to
darkon

jaf:

Just a guess here.... probably your wood is an off white/pine looking color. I haven't seen all the markings lumber folks use, and surely haven't seen all of them older than when I started many years ago.

I do remember framing houses/apts. in '73, before all the stamps were standardized.

I am thinking that your flooring was probably not flooring at all when it started its life, but probably wound up that way.

Stand = stand cut/dried

S grn (N) = sun dried green or sanded green to nominal dimension

W Hem 114 = Hemlock, probably a type of designation following

It sounds like your floor was framing lumber at one time. We used to get those nasty hem/fir mix studs and 1X4s in great numbers years and years ago.

However, when we got the good stuff from Canada, we framed with wood that was almost #1 beautiful, and I made a lot of pine pieces out of the really pretty stuff. It is certainly conceivable (except if it was green) that the wood you got was simply made into flooring by an end user (like me!).

Tell us the dimensions of your lumber, and the appearance of it, as well as the approximate age. SOMEONE here will KNOW what these marks are.

Good luck

Reply to
nailshooter41

Stand = standard grade S grn = surfaced green (over 19% moisture) (N) = Canadian Origin for the lumber W Hem = West Coast Grown Hemlock (western hemlock Tsuga heterophylla)

114 = Timber grade (over 5 inches thick)

Sources: West Coast Lumber Inspection Bureau - US Lumber Grading Standards, Carpentry and Building Construction Third Edition

Reply to
Doug Houseman

WESTERN HEMLOCK?

Reply to
myxpykalix

Sure, ruin my joke with ugly brutish facts.

I'm not the OP, but even so, I appreciate the information. Thanks!

Reply to
darkon