What type of wood

I am planning to make a fitness jump platform/board for a friend. Basically, it's a height platform to jump onto. The platform will be 20" x 24" with a height of 30" perhaps 1/2 or 3/4 thick wood. I was thinking of making the base just a bit wider to establish that tapered look. It'll be a simple box with an extra board in the center for strength then cutting a hole on each side for handles. With this type of construction, I didn't want to use heavy wood, yet I don't want to use cheap stuff which may break over time, if not soon. Any recommendations to what type of wood to use. Any other recommendations also appreciated.

Thank you

Reply to
SBH

Please double check your numbers, if I understand what you are making. You said 30" tall, making it taller than its own base. This thing will fall over at the drop of a hat. Most of these I've seen are more like 4 to 6" with really tall ones about 12" tall. Here are some:

Many are designed to stack when the exercisee (is this a word?) needs more challenge.

Baltic birch multi ply has good resiliency.

Reply to
DanG

Plywood. Any wood can split and splinter, plywood can take more stress and it less likely to have catastrophic failure. Use the most plies you can get.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
30" seems high for one of these. You may need to check the dimensions. 8-10 inches in height is about what they normally are. The commercial ones are designed so you can stack and interlock several if more height is needed.

If I were making one of these I would use 3/4 inch 11 ply birch plywood, slope the sides about 15 degrees for better stability and round all external edges with a router. Then after sanding, several coats of polyurethane followed with a piece of non slip tread surface for the top and some rubber feet to keep it from slipping. Handle holes, also rounded with the router, is a good idea.

Look carefully at some of the commercial ones and take measurements before you build. The interlocking feature can be incorporated in wooden ones with a little planing, but then you may get to build several :-).

Charley

Reply to
Charley

Thanks for the replies. I'll clarify on the height issue which two of you were concerned about.

The box will not be used as a "step" aerobic type box. It'll be used as a platform to land on for strength/jump training. In simply terms, you stand next to it, squat and jump straight up on to the platform. This is the height he wants it. I would assume with the base being larger than the platform, I won't have to worry about tipping. My concern is board strength, yet fairly light enough the move.

Reply to
SBH

Here is a link which provides the same thing made of metal.

SBH

Plywood.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I need a stretch and a nap just watching that video.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

"Leuf" commented

Exactly!!

I just kept thinking, easy chair, recliner, cold drink, the game, etc...

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Thank you Charley. Your advice will mostly be used.

Reply to
SBH