What to do with short cutoffs?

Page 2 of 2

Bee hives. Might sell the lot to a bee keeper.
HerHusband wrote:

Rubber Band Gatling Guns:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 12936785
HerHusband wrote:

Sell them as raw material to the handicrafts-making crowd...
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 09:56:22 -0500, the opaque Duane Bozarth

There ya go. "Sell 'em on Ebay, you'll be rich!"
--
If it weren't for jumping to conclusions, some of us wouldn't get any exercise.
www.diversify.com - Jump-free website programming

I just realized I've got a plant stand made of cedar sticks. They're maybe 3/4" square, so you could laminate two of yours to get the same thing. This stand has a maximum height of about 3', but you could find away around your 24" limit easily.
Make little square shelves by laying the strips across two others, and leave gaps between them as wide as the strips are thick.
Choose your longest ones as legs, and make several different heights. Join the legs together by screwing the shelves to them. Put them all at different levels for style. This should use up a lot of your offcuts really fast.
I wish I could have found a picture for you. You'd know instantly what I'm trying to describe.
- Owen -

either save them until you have a project that works out for them, or try trading them for something.. tools, other wood, lawn mowing for a few months, etc..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Boys & Girls Club in town? Hobby Shop?

Are these Eastern Aromatic Red Cedar? If so, you can put hanger hooks on them (some of the online woodworking/craft stores sell those with screw threads on the shanks) for people to hand in their closets.
Or it can be used for lining drawers and closets.
And, as usual, Google is our friend, using those two words as search terms we find:
http://tighterjeans.tripod.com/shts/front.jpg
--

FF

HerHusband wrote:

Cedar is great for compost bins. You might be able to sell a few to a local nursery. Plenty of designs on the net, just google for plans.
Ken

I had some tropical randomwood offcuts given to me from a decking project. The longest were about 14" long max. After having the stack of a dozen keep falling over and annoying me, I used them up by making this: http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/boxes/purple_peril /
HerHusband wrote:

Pencil boxes and Jewelry boxes.
--

FF

I do mainly jewelry boxes and other small boxes so I always find it amusing when people think that a "short" cutoff that's longer than anything I ever use is only good for firewood :) You guys don't wanna know how small a cutoff has to be for me to toss it.
These are on the workbench atm:
http://woodworking.dnsalias.com/DSCN2164s.jpg
http://woodworking.dnsalias.com/DSCN2165s.jpg
Small boxes make great gifts. Need practice doing handcut dovetails? There you go.
Or plane the backs and send em to me ;)
-Leuf

I don't know what it might be called in your area, but there are schools for those with severe learning difficulties where they teachs simple wood craft. Give it to them for their projects.