What shape table do I want?

Page 2 of 2

LOL. Puke, aye? I agree with you Joe. I am also a traditionalist and conservative. Many of my pieces are made direct from the log, not from purchased lumber. I am often enfluenced by nature's art (Wildlife Biology major), not by some picture in a magazine. Where, in nature, do you see a straight line? I also work with driftwood pieces. The Mississippi River delta area often has some fantastic driftwood pieces to offer. The eroded/worn pieces are often already "sanded" relatively smooth for me. I try not to have straight lines or sharp edges on my pieces. I like my own milled lumber's edges to be the natural side of a log. I do not delve in the artsy fartsy stick type furniture, either, except to make some yard decor, etc., with scraps, on occassion. I don't like to throw wood in the trash heap, so I try to make something with everything.
The kidney bean reference (for lack of a better immediate description) is a variation of a rectangle, but slightly curved, allowing for a smooth flowing piece. The idea, of my suggestions, was to experiment with shapes, other than common shapes. The tier shaped reference is based on a driftwood piece I once saw..... woodsy, simple, yet elegant....not resembling modern art at all. I've made a few tiered pieces. And yes, they do have a flavor all their own.
I highly suspect many of us posters, here, have similar ideas about our furniture and other in-home decor likes and dislikes. Modern art is not my style, either.
Sonny wrote:

If you have pictures of your work, or even works you find inspirational, I'd be interested in seeing them. Hopefully I won't puke ;-)
Joe Barta

I'd suggest locking the sliding door before the coyotes run off with your piano (or is that an organ?)
-Leuf

Semi-circle.

Ottomans are very popular today. My first thought was an oval or round coffee table (who likes to hit their shins on a coffee table corner?) If you went with a half-hexagon a leg at each apron intersection makes sense.
Quarter-round, maybe?
My BIL has an orientation like that, and the hardware kit on his table allows the table top to lift up and over so you can eat while sitting on the sofa. Good for fireside, candlelit dinners and whatnot.
-Phil Crow
Just in case you want to see the round version:
http://www.geocities.com/jcaron2/livingroom3.jpg
Josh

Thank you again