What is your favorite wood?

Page 1 of 2
I have worked with many domestic and exotic woods in the last 20 years. Many are special to me. Which woods are your favorite to work with. My favorite domestic is vertical grain fir. It is a bear to work with but it is my all time favorite. For exotics, I think Tulipwood is my favorite. It is a whitish wood with streaks of pink, purple and blue. max
max wrote:

Without a doubt, walnut, walnut, walnut!
M A H O G A N Y !
If you work with hand tools and have tried mahogany you know why it's called The King of Woods.
charlie b
In typed:

I like Thuya Burl, Amboyna Burl and Snakewood used in combination with ebony.
--
Ted Harris

To work with, especially on the scroll saw it's a toss-up between walnut and mahogany. To look at would have to be tiger maple.
Kevin Daly http://hometown.aol.com/kdaly10475/page1.html
Walnut and mahogany are my favorites too. My only complaint with walnut is the dust. My only complaint with mahogany is the cost.
For turning though, what little I've done, I have to say my favorite is really wet sycamore. That stuff flies off like silly string when it's freshly harvested!

As a beginner, I prefer beech (I'm in Europe). It's easy to work with, and it's affordable. I do make mistakes sometimes and I'd hate wasting exotic woods...
As for the looks I really like wenge, it's becoming very fashionable over here.
Marton
Walnut crotch wood
quarter sawn sycamore

I have worked with osage orange, maple, red oak, holly, paduak, cocobolo, honey locust, and cherry. For looks and strength, honey locust is the best wood I've worked with by a landslide. The sapwood is a bright yellow, and the highly figured heartwood ranges from light brown to brown with streaks of pink, purple and deep burgundy. I live in ohio, where the honey locust is plentiful and had about 60 bf, milled from 2 logs my brother in law cut. If you ever come across this wood, don't hesitate to grab it. I may have a chance at close to 1000 bf of this in a few years, which I would consider milling into extraordinary flooring.

Sounds wonderful. Do you have any pictures of your stock or things you've done in it?
Chris Hornberger wrote: snip

I've got a bunch of what I was told was either honey or black locust. Here's a pair of coopered doors - with coats of garnet shellac so the color's been changed. There are really nice areas with chatoyancy (the thing a tigereye stone exhibits) which make the finished surface interesting as you move around it.
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/CooperedDoors/CooperedDoors0.htm
It looks more like the image of Robina (robinia pseudocacacia) aka black lucust, yellow locust rather than Mesquite (prosops juliflora) aka honey locust, ironwood, algaroba, honeypod, honey mesquite) in Terry Potter's Wood Identification & Use book. I'm guessing that it's not Mesquite since I've got a a lot of 10 - 14 inch wide boards of all heartwood.
charlie b

(URL correction)

Hard telling from that picture, though I sure like the curves in that design. Here is a nice link showing the difference between the two woods. http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/the-locusts.html I have some stunning pictures of my own I will post in a day or so showing honey locust.

Here are some pictures of honey locust in my shop. I am making a jewelry box, and several pictures show the mosiac top, framed with a wild grained honey locust. Other pictures demonstrate the beautiful figure and color of this wood.
http://www.gocleansweep.com/honeylocust/Page.html
enjoy

Here are some pictures of honey locust in my shop. I am making a jewelry box, and several pictures show the mosiac top, framed with a wild grained honey locust. Other pictures demonstrate the beautiful figure and color of this wood.
http://www.gocleansweep.com/honeylocust/Page.html
enjoy

Cherry by far. I love the way it works, I love the figure and I love the way it looks after a year or so.
Hickory... Because it make sthe food taste so good... But somehow I doubt that was the perspective you were looking for.
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. http://www.autodrill.com http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com
V8013
snipped-for-privacy@usa.xerox.com (Ron) wrote:

I even love the way it smells. Cherry, for me, # 1 by far. Stability, finishability, machinability second to none. Many will agree and disagree. And THAT is exactly the reason God gave us so many different trees to choose from. <G>
Rob

I've worked with a half dozen varieties. Need to try another half dozen or so before I decide. Don't laugh, I still like working with pine but cherry is still the nicest to finish. Ed.
Walnut for its beauty and ease to work with. Oak for its forgivingness.