What is this plane used for ? *link*

Dear All,

What is a "furring plane"?

Here is one from Ebay that went for a lot of money,

rec.ww FAQ

David F. Eisan

I don't know what it's for David, but a correction to your post is that it was LISTED for a lot, but it didn't receive any bids. The owner seems to think it's valuable though with a $1200 starting bid. Or, they meant to put in 12.00 and forgot the decimal point.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

It removes wood fur, of course. It's rarely used since wood fur is a genetic defect and only affects a very small percentage of woods. I think this plane became obsolete when wood shears became commercially available so time ago.

Reply to
David P

there is more than one way to skin a cat, furring plane is #63. ;-)

BRuce

David F. Eisan wrote:

Reply to
BRuce

Reply to
BRuce

From the mouth (actually his keyboard) of the master.

say (tmPL), the seller consulted John Walter before he listed it.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

A plane made in a different country?

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

For $1,200 it had better come with a 24K gold tote and knob. :)

Reply to
Silvan

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:53:23 GMT, "David F. Eisan" brought forth from the murky depths:

Forget that. Just get a girlfriend who shaves.

------------------------------------------- Stain and Poly are their own punishment

Comprehensive Website Design ======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Galoot razor. When you've given up on ever trying to make anything and switched entirely to being a collector, then you start to hanker after the more obscure of Stanley's products. Back then they also made razors, but the late Victorian beard was a tougher beast than today's little pointed web-monkey jobs, and so two-handed razors or "de-furring planes" were briefly popular.

They're damned rare, that's all.

It's actually a useful plane. If you're milling timber and you want to feed boards through your own planer knives after they've sat around getting dirty, then this will take the rough knife-nicking stuff off without getting caught in the furry bits. If you don't have one of these to use, then a scrub plane does the job nearly as well.

Andy Dingley

Jeez, John's the acknowledged expert on Stanley prices, but the lister is not an expert on auctions. If he felt like he had to get $1200 for the thing, he should have put a 1200 buck reserve on it and a starting price of $100 or so.

And shot some good photos. Those are horrid. For that price, I would want to bloody well SEE what I'm dumping on my PayPal account!

Too, I'd like to know if that's the price JW would sell the plane for, or what he'd buy it for.

Charlie Self

"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself. " Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Charlie Self

I am sure they meant $1200. It is a rare plane, and in original condition, it's probably close to worth it. Go to

and click on Stanley Bood and Gore for much more information.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE