What is the finish on pub tables?

Sometimes I see this really thick finish on rustic looking tables in some bars or pubs. It fills in every dent and ding and it's really thick, maybe up to 1/4" deep in spots. Kind of yellow, some kind of resin or something.
I've got some construction grade plywood I'd like to cover like that, to make it smooth and strong. Can anyone tell me what it would be? Is it polyurethane? Is it applied in many layers or can it be done all at once? (Maybe some kind of epoxy can be done all at once. You tell me.)
Thanks.
- Owen -
Owen Lawrence wrote:

Polyester resin done in one pour.
--
dadiOH
____________________________
Owen Lawrence wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p 029&cat=1,190,42942
Owen Lawrence wrote:

Here's another source:
http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-94__sku-GGGHH.html
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Jack Novak wrote:
| Here's another source: | | http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-94__sku-GGGHH.html
The link didn't take me where you thought it should (not your fault, they re-directed the request to their home page) but I found it anyway. This wasn't a site I'd have thought to search for this product.
Thanks!
To avoid making chess-board bowls (which sound like an interesting serving piece or fruit bowl or something), be sure to seal all sides of the piece with something water-tight first. Maybe a layer of standard poly or varnish all around, then pouring on your bar-top? However, I don't think plain plywood would move very much, unless the finish shrinks drastically as it dries. Andy
Be careful though. Onetime, I poured a 1/4"-thick layer polyurethane resin on a chessboard I'd made using 1/4" plywood squares glued to a 1/4" plywood substrate, edged with 1/2" stock.
When the resin cured, it bowed the plywood badly, turning the chessboard into and odd-looking bowl.
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:17:38 -0400, "Owen Lawrence"

Its called bar-top - available at any local borg.
Mix part a w/ part b and pour - then let sit.

Owen Lawrence Wrote:

There are people that live for the opportunity to mix two-part epoxies and resins. Either can be used, each has its own advantages, disadvantages, and techneques. Probably no one knows more about the stuff then the fine folks in the boat building and repair venue. More info and help from friendly people on the repair and restoration forum at iboats.com. Go there and start a thread. Youll get all the tips, tricks, and gotchas to look out for that you need to make your table.
One of the best sources for materials is http://www.uscomposites.com
--
joe2

Hi Joe, That is a great site for the technique of applying bar top finishes. Thanks, JG
joe2 wrote:

epoxy.... search bar top clear finish

Wow, lots of replies! Thanks!
That stuff's not cheap, eh? I may have to rethink what I'm doing.
- Owen -