What is it? Set 554

Page 3 of 4
Looks like I'll be on the road for work starting next week, so I won't be posting for at least a couple of months, maybe many months. I've posted here and on my site every week for the past ten years so I guess I'm over due for a break. Thanks to everyone for their participation, I've enjoyed it and have learned a lot.
The answers for this week have been posted:
Have a great weekend everyone!
Rob
On 7/18/2014 2:32 PM, Rob H. wrote:

We have really appreciated your efforts and we will miss your postings. Thank you.
Dan
On 7/18/2014 5:32 PM, Rob H. wrote:

Thanks for ten years of interesting. Wish I'd tuned in sooner than the closing credits. Just to show there's no hard feelings, I'll help you out this once.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Bad news: no more puzzles from Rob for some time. Thank you so much for all the fun!!
Good news: no more posts from that God Damn stormin asshole.

Don't count on it. Unless you plonk him, you'll get endless complaints about "where are this weeks puzzles?"
Lloyd
On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 13:19:28 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

That made me laugh harder at a post than I have for a long time. Thank you for that Lloyd!!

Thanks, Rob. Your postings are a bright spot in this group. I appreciate all your effort, and I look forward to your resuming these posts.
Joel

Whoa! Rob! Not only will we miss you, but the mormon guy will be beside himself!
Come back sooner, rather than later!
Lloyd
Rob H. wrote:

Return when you can , we'll miss you . Your posts on thursday have been a high point to my week since the first time I saw one .
--
Snag

It has been enormous fun for many people and you've obviously put a huge amount of effort into it. I hope you found it worthwhile.
Many thanks for all your work over the years, and I do hope to see it suddenly reappear at some time in the future.
All the best!

You'll be sorely missed Rob. Thanks for all the effort you've put into this and the enjoyment you've given us all going crazy trying to work out what the hell those things were. Have a great time on the road and hope to see you back in the future.
--
Dave Baker

    Another thought occurred to me for item #3236. It looks as though it could be used as part of a safety device by those working on power lines. In particular, there are pairs of clamps similar to this, connected together by a flexible cable. The cable could go to the eye on the left in the photo. The clamp is applied by an insulated pole which lifts it to the wire (by the handle of the clamp) and then is twisted to tighten the clamp onto the wire.
    I've only seen these at a distance, so I can't be sure that this would serve for that purpose, but it looks as though it would.
    Perhaps someone reading this does such power line work and could comment?
    I saw them in use after the Derecho hit the East Coast a couple of years ago, and left us (Washington DC vicinity, Northern VA in particular) without power (and air conditioning) for about five days, and some for significantly longer.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

It does resemble a hot line clamp, I'm not sure if this is right or not but will forward it to the owner. Thanks for all of your posts over the years, I know you supplied answers for quite a few of the items. Take it easy DoN!
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

Will watch for your return Sir. Take it easy yourself.
--
Steve W.

    I would feel more certain about it if there were a flat sided ring for the cable to clamp to, instead of a rounded ring for something to simply clip into. I guess that at the voltages involved, they will make connection fairly easily even without a rigid clamping of terminals -- at least enough to ground the wire and blow a fuse upline somewhere. (Or kill some idiot's generator which is backfeeding the line. :-)

    And the best of luck with whatever it is which you are going to be doing for a while.
    I look forward to your eventual return. I've spotted some interesting things to submit to you for future puzzles, if I can remember to photograph them at the right time. :-)
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 7/22/2014 11:13 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

I've seen and photographed some items which were worthy to be put on the web site. If someone else has web site talent (I do not) the tradition might yet live on.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Thank you and enjoy your time off. Looking forward to your return in a few months!
Have a couple of rejected submissions I may post during your time off.
--
William

On 7/23/2014 2:38 PM, William Bagwell wrote:

If you've got the web making skills, I may offer to send you pictures of odd items in my life. Xray of my brain, to start. Not that I ever use it, of course.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

If someone has the web-savvy - to set it up - - we could do a version of Rob's What-Is-It .. ... just while he's away... We'll post the answers first - so everyone will know where to find them - < nudge nudge wink wink > and then we'll all post pictures of what the answer looks like to us. Gotta be a Reality TV pilot here somewhere ! John T
--- ---