What is it? Set 546

Page 1 of 2
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Larger images:
http://imgur.com/gallery/5f32A/new
Below are three more items that were sent in but didn't make it to the web site for one reason or another, anyone know what they are?
1.
http://i.imgur.com/lVdZIjq.jpg
2. The owners description: "Inside the tube is some stuff to make a fire, cordeless or horsehair, it smells like gas lighter, text on it says 'QUICK d.r.o.m.', It is the same thing as what is in a Zippo lighter."
http://i.imgur.com/znK0Yas.jpg
3. The person who sent it would like to find out if this has a purpose and what the figures represent:
http://i.imgur.com/yr5dQ54.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KqzcHDt.jpg
"Rob H." wrote in message
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Larger images:
http://imgur.com/gallery/5f32A/new
3188 elevator lift controller 3189 Fence Hammer 3190 Lineman's cable knife or cleaver
http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-761252/unusual-antique-bell-system-linemans-cable-knife-or-cleaver-utica-original.html
3191 Filler Gauge
Robert

3181 looks like a cranberry basket to me.
3188 seems to be a telegraph/annunciator of some sort, to show in a different room (below or above the sender's) the position of the pointer at the sender's end. COULD be for an elevator, but it doesn't feel right for that.
3189 Classic home-bodged Fencing Tool
3190 Lineman's cable-cutter (They LOVED using this tool, because after using it, they got three days under an umbrella splicing all the pairs they cut!
3191 pipe sizing gauge
3192 telescoping hole gauge (like we wouldn't know what THAT was, here!)
LLoyd
Rob H. wrote:

3191 is a machinists radius gauge set similar to this one:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTEzNlg3NDQ=/z/MGIAAOxyOalTaoAH /$_57.JPG
On 5/22/2014 4:04 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3181, farmers back scratcher. Or, maybe wooden match holder, or maybe a weeding tool. Was this supposed to be number 3187? 3188, not sure. 3189, specialized hammer. Which speciality, I do not know. 3190, Workplace violence tool for phone workers who go bell. 3191, rod gages, for some thing. Maybe refrigeration, to tell tubing sizes? 3192, no clue.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/22/2014 4:04 AM, Rob H. wrote:

SM: This is, or very close to a cylinder removal tool. It's used to snap the key cylinder out of Kwikset brand knob locks. I've seen these tools advertised, but I've never owned one. I use the cheapie Kwikset version which is stamped out of flat metal. And costs well under a dollar, last I looked. http://www.lockpicks.com/professional-kwikset-cylinder-removal-tool.html Pro version, $29.95, and only 8 left!

SM: I totally don't recognize this.

SM: You got me, I don't know. My first thought is these are ashtrays.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/22/2014 4:04 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3181 Hand Harvester for small gardens 3182 Elevator floor chooser. 3190 Phone system wire cleave for stripping heavy cable 3191 Go No Go tool for dowels or steel rod. 3192 Inside feeler gauge. Used to get the size of a cylinder. Then you take a micrometer and mic it.
--

Jeff

Rob H. wrote:

3188 looks like elevator lift controller
3191 gauge for measuring outside diameter or checking for roundness.
3192 Bore gauge - telescoping feeler gauge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bore_gauge
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

cable-knife-or-cleaver-utica-original.html
Thanks for the link.

Correct

This answer is correct though this particular set of gauges was meant for measuring a specific item.

Good description of it!

Thanks, I just changed the number to 3187.
On 5/22/2014 5:00 PM, Rob H. wrote:

Hey, I got it right! but still don't know the item use. Sigh. And I was all excited.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Not sure if this is correct or not but I'll your suggestion on to the owner of it. Thanks

what

It does look like an ashtray but I couldn't find any others with metal rods across the top of them. Someone else suggested it was for holding water for use on stamps.
On 5/22/2014 5:06 PM, Rob H. wrote:

I'm about 99.5% sure about my identification. In the next day or two, I might find one such in a locksmith catalog.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

3188 - flow regulator dial. For opening/closing something like a chimney damper, or controlling the flow of water, etc.
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

I'll speculate that this is a control to adjust room heat for old convection hot-air heating systems. I note the control wire/string (10,11 in the patent drawing) that would go down to set a damper in the duct providing hot air to the room(s). All the open space in the structure suggests that this is a cover for (one of) the hot air input duct(s) in the room(s) being regulated.
"Alexander Thesoso" <

Perhaps for controlling the coal burning furnace air intake? Close it a bit to cool the fire or open up the intake for more heat. There is no restriction in the flue above the fire in a coal burner.

Yes, it's a draft regulator for a furnace, more information on it can be found by following the patent link that I posted with the answers for this set:
Thanks everyone!
Rob

HAH! Got one! Makes my day, ay?