What is it? Set 546

[ ... ]

The rods could be for propping up long sticks of incense.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

3191 is a tool makers radius gauge 3192 is a telescopic bore gauge for measuring holes in metalwork pieces
Reply to
Bluey69

I'll speculate that this is a control to adjust room heat for old convection hot-air heating systems. I note the control wire/string (10,11 in the patent drawing) that would go down to set a damper in the duct providing hot air to the room(s). All the open space in the structure suggests that this is a cover for (one of) the hot air input duct(s) in the room(s) being regulated.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

My pleasure, to help out. So many specialized tools out there, and it's nice to recognize one, now and again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's possible this is english or french. The fellow wearing the phrygian cap (representing a french revolutionist circa 1800) is being choked by a brit wearing a tri-corner cap. As for its purpose? possibly for holding ink.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

"Alexander Thesoso" <

Perhaps for controlling the coal burning furnace air intake? Close it a bit to cool the fire or open up the intake for more heat. There is no restriction in the flue above the fire in a coal burner.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Alexander Thesoso wrote in news:lln75f$gp3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Actually, one side says "draft open" and the other side says "crack open"

Reply to
Baxter

"Phil Kangas" wrote in news:llnkt7$hs1$1@dont- email.me:

Makes sense when you consider the labels "draft open" and "crack open" on the dial.

Also:

Baxter

It's *obviously* a reproduction antikythera device. See? no kytheras around here!

Stanley Daniel de Liver

Yes, it's a draft regulator for a furnace, more information on it can be found by following the patent link that I posted with the answers for this set:

Thanks everyone!

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

HAH! Got one! Makes my day, ay?

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Well, I'm zero for the week. Thanks for posting the answers. Glad I was able to help with the cylinder popper.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon