Larger images:
http://imgur.com/gallery/ppPuF/new
Rob
"Rob H." wrote in message
I need some help with 3179 in this set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Larger images:
http://imgur.com/gallery/ppPuF/new
3175 is a penknife pretending to be a two dimensional bullet.
3177 is for splitting twin core cable I think.
The others are obviously fencing tools.
Steve
On 5/8/2014 4:04 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3175     Remington bullet key fob, file 3176    wish I had better pics, but it looks like something to cut parallel lines, maybe in tape
3177     An electrician line splitter. Used to separate the leads of lamp wire or romex.
3178     Quick release tie down. Stick a loop of rope through, catch it in the grip, when you want to release pull the levers.
3179 Can lid crimper, rolls and crimps the lid on a can.
3180    Fence tool :-)
--
Jeff

Rob H. wrote:

3179 looks like a strapping tensioner. Something like this one: http://www.allpack.co.uk/2pchandstrap.htm

It's not a knife but it is knife related

Correct

Correct on the key fob, though it's not a file, and it does have another purpose.

Someone sent in the photos. It's not for cutting lines.

Yes, this tool says Bell System on the other side

Nope

Here is the owner's description of it: "I got it from a container of mixed metal for recycling (essentially someone was throwing it out). When the handle compresses, the wheel with the teeth turns, and there is a ratcheting mechanism. The wire lever can be pressed to lift off the wheel a bit, presumably to slip something under the wheel area. My guess is that is is used to secure plastic or wire strapping for large shipping crates/boxes."

I think I'm actually out of fence tools for the moment. I've got a book that pictures almost 900 fence tools and I have only posted a small fraction of them, so I'm sure I'll find more in the future.

I think this is probably correct, unfortunately there is no text on it to help figuring it out. Thanks for the link.
Rob H. wrote:

3179 is a ratcheting metal band tensioner.
--
Steve W.

    Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always. (And, for "Stormin' Mormon', also from my Lay-Z-Boy in my living room. :-)
3175)    Hmm ... while it is in the shape of a rifle cartridge (likely     a 30-06), the "Cutlery" on there suggests that it is for use int     he dining room or kitchen.
    It could be a lever for prying open things like jars of     marmalade or something similar.
    Or (if the surface of the bullet end is correct), it Could be     for sharpening knives -- say if the surface has diamond grit     embedded in it.
3176)    Too few views, and too few images from the patent page.
    At a guess, there are blades between each of the sliding metal     pieces shown in "Fig 3", and when you press down hard enough the     blades come out to cut through whatever is being held flat.
    Based on the handle, it could be for use in the kitchen, and it     could be used for cutting luncheon meats into strips similar to     pasta for going in some kind of meat salad.
3177)    If the shape of the recesses and projections were a bit     different, it could be a crimper -- but the projection seems to     be a pointed blade, so it is more likely to be for something     off-the-wall (for me, at least) like splitting a twig so a graft     of another plant into it could be made.
    Or -- for slitting tubing (soft metal like copper, or rubber or     vinyl) to make intentional leaks for spraying water, or perhaps     drawing a wire through one of the notches, to split the     insulation in preparation for wiring.
    O.K. Strike the copper tubing -- the blades are slanted to cut     in one direction.
    In any case -- it is not a commercial product. The notches were     formed by either filing by hand, or perhaps a small "point"     (mounted stone in a high speed device like a Dremel, or a     compressed air driven die grinder).
    Whether the hinge and pin are commercial, or are good work by an     individual I'm not sure.
    And it could either be held closed by hand (in which case I     would expect longer handles), or by a vise.
3178)    Mounts on a wooden panel, and accepts leather harness rigging     for a horse-drawn vehicle. Quick disconnect by pinching the two     *ears* together.
3179)    Other than the lack of a cut-off blade at the end, it looks     like a tool for tightening nylon cable ties.
3180)    A hand-operated tool for filing an end at right angles to     a round piece of workstock -- wood or metal depending on the     file wheel.
    Now to post this and see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 5/8/2014 4:04 AM, Rob H. wrote:

always. BTW, my news reader doesn't seem to get rc Metalworking any more. Not a big loss, the flame wars got boring. I do get RC Puzzles, which is fine.
3175, might be a .30-06 shell that got left on a rail road track? 3176, might be a meat tenderizer. 3177, my first thought was a crimping tool. But with the sharp tooth point, maybe splitting, or opening of some kind. 3178, wall mounted broom handle holder 3179, don't know 3180, don't know
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/9/2014 5:39 PM, Rob H. wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure why somebody would use one of these.

Rob H. wrote:

I've seen more than 1 pocketknife that may make you change your mind.

On 5/9/2014 7:34 PM, Rob H. wrote:

When I was a kid,I had a swiss army knife (cheap knock off). It ws so totally dificult to get the blades open, I used some string and tied on a flat steel key I had from some where. Made it a lot easier to open the blades.
Look forward to reading the rest of the answers when Rob posts them.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

They are posted.
--
Steve W.

On 5/10/2014 4:33 PM, Steve W. wrote:

I've read the subject lines of all the posts to this group. None of the subject lines mentions answers. Just what is it? set 544. We're still all guessing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/11/2014 8:08 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

--
Jeff

Steve W. wrote:

He's using T-bird , which I know for a fact has the means to track responses to threads . He chooses not to , for whatever reason .
--
Snag

On 5/10/2014 5:54 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Rob always posts a new thing with the word answers in the subject line.
--
.
Christopher A. Young