What is it? Set 533

Page 2 of 2

    Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
3109)    It distributes some kind of gas or blown content.
    I only see one fitting, but I see what appears to be two     triggers. No reservoir such as would be found in a spray paint     gun.
    At a guess, it perhaps distributes ionized air to discharge     static charges on something -- in which case it also needs a     high voltage coming into the gun at some point.
3110)    A hand-held electromagnet. The push button energizes the     coils. The clips partially hiding behind the right-hand     end suggest that it is powered by clipping onto an automotive     battery,, so I think that it is intended to magnetize something,     rather than de-magnetize, as that would require AC instead of     DC.
    It looks as though the knurled nut in the center of the handle     adjusts the spacing of the pole pieces.
    At a guess, it is used to re-magnetize the poles in a generator     (predecessor to the current alternator).
    It could also be used to pick up objects made of iron or steel.
3111)    The point suggests that it is intended to be a non-slip device     on ice outdoors. The bolt at the other end suggests that it may     be a hinged prop for something on ice.
3112)    A load binder designed to hook over links of a chain, and     shorten it to tighten it around the load (typically in a flatbed     truck.
3113)    A telephone relay -- I think made by Western Electric.
    The terminals are intended to be connected to by wire-wrap     tools, not soldering.
    It has two coils, given the number of pins at the top surface,     and the fact that wires are soldered to all four pins at the     coil end.
    Most of the wire-wrap terminal relays also had wire contacts,     with pairs of spring wires twisted tight and then squeezed     square, but this one has flat contacts. I can't tell which form     the contacts have (A, B, C, or some of the more complex like     break-make-before-break which were common in exchanges. I'm     more familiar with the style of relays made and used by     Automatic Electric -- a quite different style.
3114)    What is the material? Is it all metal, or is the shell     plastic? The slots mentioned are barely visible in the photos.
    If all metal, I think that it is intended to hold a knife blade     (perhaps a scalpel) with the knob adjusting how far it sticks     out. In that case, the slot in the upper end is to keep the     blade from rotating. One of the expansions of DFHA might     support this: "Doctors Financial Health Advisors"
    If the housing is plastic, however, it might be a form of test     probe used in electronics work. The wire connected to the point     held in the end would come out the slot, and again, the knob     would control how much of the point is exposed.
    It could also be intended to dispense small parts -- perhaps     ball bearings, or tumblers for pin-tumblers locks. They would     be loaded into the slot at the big end, and slowly shoved out by     turning the knob.
Time to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Oh, Don! Oh, Don...