What is it? Set 533

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with the last item this week, number 3114:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Larger images:
http://imgur.com/a/MR0oW
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

#3114 How about a "turf stake". The following appears to be a patent for one.
http://www.google.com/patents/US5881495
This set had me feeling pretty brow-beat too!
Bill

Could be, I'm still not sure about this item.
3109. A mixing nozzle, for spraying things like weedkiller using a stream of water.
3110. An arc light.
3113. A relay.
--
Mark Brader "A hundred billion is *not* infinite
Toronto and it's getting less infinite all the time!"

Neither of these

Correct
On 2/20/2014 8:00 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Technically a Wire Spring Relay. There were a few of them in the old Telco Central Offices, PBX's and Key Systems.
Google Wire Spring Relay Images. I think you will find one or two. :)
LdB

According to the owner it's a flat spring relay, which I think is similar to a wire spring relay, I really don't know the difference between the two.
The answers for this set have been posted, still not sure about the last one:
Rob

    I agree that it is a flat spring relay. From the end shown, the wire-spring relay would have what appears to be squared-off twisted wires as pins (squared-off to serve as wire-wrap pins). This one shows flat springs narrowed to make the pins for the wire-wrap connections.
    Flat spring contacts (easier to see from the other end) have one or two silver contact buttons spot welded onto the springs. The two contact ones are better at controlling bounce pulses, and will have a slot cut between the two contact points so each applies force independently.
    The wire spring relays have two spring wires for each contact, each making contact on its own with a rectangular stationary block (secured on the end of a stiffer single wire), and usually two more making contact from the other side depending on which direction the magnetic arm is in at the moment. The contacts are all moved by a single phenolic frame with notches for each of the wires.

    The function of the first one explains why it has two triggers -- one for forward, the other for backward thrust. That is a neat device to show.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Thanks for the information on the relay, I'll pass it along to the owner of it in case he doesn't already know how it works.
On 2/20/2014 5:12 AM, Rob H. wrote:

room, as always.
3109, pneumatic vaccination gun? 3110, no clue. Maybe electrical measuring test probe? 3111, Superman's hiking stick 3112, maybe a pallet puller? 3113, maybe some kind of switching relay, possibly phone system? 3114, it's a long black thing with no discernable detail. Perhaps better photos?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Yes, it's an old relay from the phone system

Better photos would certainly help, it's plastic, hollow, and has four slots on the end, two of which can be seen in the last photo. I was thinking it could be some kind of knot tying device but couldn't find one like it.
On 2/20/2014 9:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

the slot allows for a button to push the item out the pointy end of the tube.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Rob H. wrote:

swung back and forth the claws caught alternate links in a large chain and pulled.
--
 GW Ross

 I'm not smart enough to lie. --Ronald

Fence stretcher is correct.
Rob H. wrote:

3111 looks like a bale spear.
--
Steve W.

Correct

3110. Is a magnetic particle inspection yoke. Used to detect cracks in steel items. Turn it on with the button and sprinkle very fine steel powder and if there is a crack the powder will stand up on either side of it. Can't be fooled. The coils swivel to accomodate the structure.

Good answer, I was going to call it a magnaflux device but it looks like magnetic particle inspection yoke is a more common term for it.

Hooo Boooy! I finally answered one and got it right! ;>)} Magnaflux is the proprietary company name for it. This one looks to be intended for pipe.
3109 Cold gun. AKA vortex tube. Art