What is it? Set 523

Page 3 of 4
On 12/12/2013 09:22, Rob H. wrote:

3053
My Dad had one of these. Sometimes he would let me sharpen his razor with it.
3050 Guess... A magnetic position transducer/sensor. I speculate that one of the two sets of terminals goes to a pair of opposed solenoids and the other pair goes to a central solenoid. As the stick moves the movable solenoid, the coupling between the pairs of terminals linearly changes with distance, measuring the position of the stick. I guess, it is also possible that this is a linear actuator rather than a sensor.
On 12/12/2013 4:22 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Your guess brought to mind a theremin.

    Except that the theremin used capacitive coupling, not the inductive coupling which this uses.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Sounds feasible but I don't know what this one is so until we get a good reference it is still a mystery. Thanks for the guess.
3051 Not a particularly helpful answer... This is a removable handle for turning something. The central knob cams the jaws to grasp the something. It would possibly be helpful if I had any idea of what the something is.
On 12/12/2013 4:22 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3049 I'll guess that this functions as a production fixture that is used like a 4-jaw chuck. If there is a production run, and the whitish thing is a workpiece, then the two screws with lock nuts are set up to position the workpiece and the other two screws clamp it in a centered position. Then some machining operation is done, well centered, on the exposed face. I'm still at a loss for how the fixture is held in place.
On 12/12/2013 4:22 AM, Rob H. wrote:

On 12/12/2013 3:22 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3053 is the only one I know this week. It is a Rolfe (sp?) razor that has the neatest self sharpening system going. when in the holder the blade is flipped back and forth on the hone and strop.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .

This particular one is a Rolls Razor, not sure if there was one like it called Rolfe.
On 12/12/2013 7:12 AM, Rob H. wrote:

memory and age. Yes, Rolls. At least I knew it started with an R.
--

___________________________________

#3049 Part of a "level sensor" mechanism--like from an airplane? Bill

This is another one that I don't have an answer for this week, not sure if your guess is right or not, I did a search on airplane gyroscopes but didn't see a similar device.
enl snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

This answer is correct.
On 12/12/2013 8:06 AM, Rob H. wrote:

I'm late to the show,and it is the only time I knew 2 of them.This,as I had to buy one once, and 3050.
As for 3050, early radios did not use variable capacitors, everything was done with inductors.
Jeff
On 12/12/2013 4:22 AM, Rob H. wrote:

*.* "no clue"
Really great set, you totally stumped me on all items. Well, at least I got the hydrant wrench, last week.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

3054, vinyl siding removal tool

3052: Looks like a telephone installers tool for crimping the small circular connectors used when splicing POTS lines.

3053
sharping stones
3054
vinyl siding tool
mark

Another wild guess. 3050. I think this might be a spooling drum for light (IE. not heavy) cable. Possibly used for temporary telecomms (military unlikely), detonation of charges in mines/quarries etc. Back to the drawing board. Nick.
On 12 Dec 2013 01:22:05 -0800

3051 Is a Wagon-Wrench or maybe better described as a Wagon Nut Wrench.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b