What is it? Set 510

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with 2971 and 2976 in this set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
The larger images can also be seen here:
http://imgur.com/a/SMMZ6
Rob
2972 My only plausible guess is that this is an ice crusher. To convert an ice-cube to crushed ice in a bar environment.
On 9/12/2013 4:04 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Nope, that's not it

2974 - a cheese curd draining tray?
2975 - I've seen these before... I think several are used at once for adjusting and holding the gap around something (large glazing?) while fastening the item in place. I cannot remember why they have steel handles, though.
2976 - I think the blade has been mounted upside-down on it. It looks like a one-man saw with a means to pull the blade tight to the tree trunk without requiring a lot of leverage on the part of the user.

This one is not food related

I agree that the blade is upside down, I thought it might be for underbucking but your suggestion sounds good too.
"Rob H." wrote in message
I need some help with 2971 and 2976 in this set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
The larger images can also be seen here:
http://imgur.com/a/SMMZ6
Rob
2972 Meat tenderizer? WW

Nope, it's not for use on meat
Posting from my desk top PC, as always.
2971, no clue. 2972, That one's going to give me nightmares. 2973, no clue beyond the obvious. Ball peen. 2974. No clue. 2975, hands for a big clock? 2976, no clue.
Well, you got me. Didn't recognize any of them.
On 9/12/2013 4:04 AM, Rob H. wrote:

On 12 Sep 2013 in rec.woodworking, Rob H. wrote:

2975. Made of metal and rubber:
Used by piano tuners to damp a portion of the strings in a set of strings for a note, so they hear only one at a time
--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Yes. They're called wedge mutes.

Excellent! Thanks for providing the name, I found some good references for them on the web.
The piano tuner my parents hired had these, but the tips were fibrous.
On 9/12/2013 12:35 PM, Rob H. wrote:

I believe they used felt similar to that used on piano hammers.

I also remember seeing felt on the hammers. I wonder if rubber lasts longer for the mutes? I asked a piano tuner, but could not hear his answer. I guess it's a mute point.
On 9/12/2013 2:13 PM, Marc Dashevsky wrote:

On 9/13/2013 8:58 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's like asking whether a transmission will last longer than a carburetor.

YES! I knew I'd seen those in use! I had a piano tuner guy right up the street from me when I got my first house.
That's IT!
Lloyd
says...

Thanks! I didn't have an answer for this one.

2973: I'm pretty sure is soft face replaceable head mallet... but the soft face material of the head facing the camera has broken off leaving only it's screw in mounting stud.
Erik
On 9/12/2013 1:32 PM, Erik wrote:

I was thinking it was for adjusting the weight of the head. Add shot and you can make it heavier.. not sure why you would.
--
Jeff

I agree. That was my guess also.
Larry