What is it? Set 489

Page 2 of 2

as the wire ring securing the post to the plate would shear off too easily. Art

That's a good point, I still consider this one to be unsolved though sometimes I still post the most common guess, hopefully we'll get the definitive answer for it in the near future.

    I considered that in my suggested answer, and said that if there were recesses in between the post and the barrel around it to allow concrete to flow in and set, this would make up for that.
    Even wrenching down seriously on that large nut at the top could shear the wire ring without something else helping.
    It would probably be strong enough if the load were intended to be a guy wire, pulling at an angle (say 45 degrees) instead of straight up. And the spread of the base would make that pretty likely.
    A photo of it disassembled would help greatly.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
2845 gluing pegs? 2846, no clue. 2847 maybe an anchor designed to put into cement? 2848 door bells from anorexia bullemia center. 2849 no clue. 2850 no clue. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> writes:

Use the right mouse button on the image and select "copy image location".
Paste it into notepad or vi or emacs or whatever.
trim off the google shit and you get
http://www.history.com/images/media/slideshow/industrial-inventions/antique-horse-drawn-mower.jpg
scott
Lee Michaels wrote:

www.startpage.com doesn't track you , uses google as a search engine but doesn't remember what you've searched for before . It rocks IMO .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message

The first link you posted showed 22 pages of sickle bar mowers. The second link showed 23 pages of horse drawn mowers. So the links worked here anyway... Thanks, brings back memories! ;>)}
On 2013-04-18, Lee Michaels <leemichaels*nadaspam*> wrote:

    Might I suggest that you first try another search engine. My current preference is for one called DuckDuckGo <www.duckduckgo.com> which does not track you, and does not offer ads.
    I noticed that the URLs in your previous postings were *very* long. I had the window widened to about 350 characters (in a double-monitor screen), and it still folded to one and a half lines. :-)
    Sometimes, you can work around this by trimming off the very long first part of the Google url, and leaving just the actual URL of the site.
    Good luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 4/18/13 4:10 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2846: The arms look spindly. I wonder if they're metal. Near the arms, there's a wide groove across the board on the side that would be up. I wonder if it's for slicing through something instead of cutting against the board. The last raised portion could serve as a visual gage to slice something into 1" pieces and drop them into a container about 24" in diameter. I've never seen a barrel of pickled eel.
2848: Are the push buttons electrical? There are mirror sundials. Perhaps XI is for the hour around 11 AM and the XII is for the hour around noon.

The arms look like metal to me, since several people suggested it was a cutting board I sent an email to the owner asking if there are any knife marks on it, I'll post his reply when I get it.

The owner described the button as a simple buzzer so I would say that it's an electrical PB.
On 4/18/2013 3:10 AM, Rob H. wrote:

mechanic for 40 years and anyone in farming in the midwest calls them guards,knife guards or some are rock guards or stub guards (no top bar or point on them). If you look at any John Deere parts catalog you will only find guards, no tooth. Keep up the good work, I look forward to your pictures every week. Ralph

I guess you can tell that I'm not a farmer, I went ahead and changed my answer this morning to guard, it does sound like a more official name. Though there are plenty of hits on Google for both sickle bar mower teeth and sickle bar mower finger, I agree that guard is a better term for it.
Rob