What is it? Set 457

Page 1 of 2
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2653: Animal Tagger? 2654: Ceramic Insulators? 2655: Part of a music box. 2656: making lots of concentric circles? 2657: Stamp used to fix all the White House keyboard "W"s?
On 9/6/2012 4:08 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2658: Radar Detection Antenea
On 9/6/2012 6:18 AM, Kenefick wrote:

2657 is a Steak brand. The non-shown sides have R & (probably) MR on them. The show sides are for Well and Medium.
Lloyd
2654 - Pepper pots for telegraph poles.
2656 - Circle drawing tool.
2657 - Barbeque tool for marking steak: W - Well done, M - Medium, R - Rare, B - Blue.
2658 - Farming tool.

Yes, these tools were used on a farm.
On 9/6/12 4:08 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2656 will keep eight valves in order. It's not musical chairs!

This answer is correct.
On 9/6/12 4:08 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2653: The line wires of a mesh fence have ripples to keep them tight and springy. This tool might be to tighten stretched ripples or make new ones. The L-shaped tongue might help guide the line wire into the notch.

I don't have an answer for this one yet, but the owner of it did say "The tool has quite a strong odour similar to that of an automotive or machinery workshop."
On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 04:08:48 -0400

#2658 are varieties of Revolving Hay Rakes. Maybe mid 1800's.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Hay rakes is correct.

It holds the valves from a V8 engine when overhauling it. My parents had one from the '40's which had advertising for a garage on it. Art

Oops. Forgot to add #2656. Art

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
2653)    Strange looking beastie. I'm not sure how old it is, but     what it looks to be to me is a crimper for some kind of crimp     splice or terminal which is held in the clip in the bottom
    An extra view of the moving part fully engaging the clip in the     bottom might give more clues. (Something like the last, but     with the lever fully compressed.)
2654)    The look somewhat like tiny drinking mugs with brewery markings     on them.
    But they *could* be insulators.
    Or they could be strange chess pieces, given the variety of     shapes.
2655)    This sort of looks like the works in a pepper grinder, but     obviously much larger.
    Could it be for breaking and grinding stone? Or perhaps     something like clam shells -- to make lime?
2656)    Hmm ... the printing looks designed to skip the areas of the     holes, which suggests that they are related, rather than the     holes were drilled into a yardstick for a different purpose.
    And the text suggests automotive parts (piston rings).
    Perhaps it is to store engine valves for an (up to) 8 cylinder     engine during stripdown and reassembly?
2657)    The high contrast suggests that it is to print the letters     shown by transferring paint, rather that to burn the letters     into wood like a brand.
    Are there two other letters on the two sides which we can't see?     It is interesting that the two shown are almost vertical mirror     images of each other -- other than the slope on the sides of the     'W' vs the vertical sides on the 'M'.
    'W' might go with the other compass directions -- but 'M' does     not fit that at all, which is why seeing the other two sides     might be helpful.
2658)    Part of a harvesting machine -- perhaps horse drawn?
    Or perhaps a net drying and repair rack?
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Still not sure about the first one but the rest have been answered correctly this week:

Are you sure about the spark plugs? There appear the wrong shape and a little large at 1"
David B wrote:

They are for the old plugs that you can take apart to service. Most were 3/4 or 1" pipe thread.
--
Steve W.

I went to an antique machinery show a while ago, where I came across a large display of a couple thousand vintage spark plugs and an on going spark plug auction. There was a plastic container holding some porcelain parts, I cropped this photo to post the one on my site:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album%2015/DSC02191.jpg
I guessed at the inch and a half size but as you can see there are number of different sizes and shapes.
"Rob H." wrote in message
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2654 Insulators for electric fence wire. WW