What is it? Set 396

Page 1 of 2
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

2288: a place to hold your bocce balls before throwing?
2289: The green felt is a clue. Is it a pool cue bridge?
2290: is a picture frame clamp.
2291: combination cheese grater and pastry dough crimper??
2292: is used to cut dadoes or rabbets to a specific depth and angle.

beat me to it.

Nope

This one is hard to guess so I'll give a hint, it's weapon related.

Correct, but also for other uses.

Nope
Yes.
On 7/7/11 5:38 PM, Rob H. wrote:

It reminds me of patching a tube. You scuff the tube with a grater, apply cement, apply the patch, and roll over the patch with a sort of spur.

Good answer! You are correct, it's a tire repair scraper.

OK, I understand what the tool is for. I have repaired countless (bicycle) innertubes, and know that I scuff the tube before applying the glue and the patch. What's the purpose of "rolling over the patch with [the] spur"?
Thanks.

The spur supposedly has two purposes, when held at a 45 degree angle it can be used to scrape the tire, and when held perpendicular to the surface it can "serve as a roller to roll the patch down on the tire", see line 55 and Fig. 4 in the patent at the link below:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=bTJ5AAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq 32544&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q&flse
On 7/8/11 11:03 AM, Rob H. wrote:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=bTJ5AAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq 32544&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q&flse
I haven't seen a roller used to scrape, but service stations used to use them to make sure a patch was stuck down. They may be called stitchers.
http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/the-right-stuff-3424.html
pierre wrote:

It's to push down really hard to get a good bond between the tire and the patch.
Cheers! Rich
Rob H. wrote:

Guesses: 2287 - Pair of tools for cutting a rabbet 2290 - For clamping a picture frame square 2292 - tenon saw
Bill

2288: Used by a metal smith to form sheet metal into a spherical surface.
2290: A band clamp, usable on picture frames, boxes, furniture, etc.
2292: A depth gauge on a handsaw, used as a stop for cutting dadoes, tenons, etc., to a fixed depth.
John

2287 - Seam Rippers (?)
2288 - Form for hammering out copper or brass bowls
2290 - Adjustable corner clamp -- I bought three of these a while back, and I've never used them.
2292 - Attachment to control the depth of the saw cut

Nope, these are food related, but not for food preparation and not for in the home.

Yes, in the catalog it was called a gauge saw.

Slaughterhouse skin rippers, then?
LLoyd

They aren't for use in a slaughterhouse but you're in the right ballpark, they weren't used on a farm.
Rob H. wrote:

Has to be used for ripping leather or suede, then. /mark

They aren't for use on leather, a look at the handle of the first one will provide a clue, although even with the clue the exact purpose is difficult to guess.
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
On 7/8/11 11:08 AM, Rob H. wrote:

How about processing fish? Before metal gloves, it would have been wise to use a tool to hold a fish without getting one's fingers near the blade of the knife. Perhaps a tool like these could slip under a gill to hold a fish on a table to slice from the head toward the tail.

You're right about them being used on fish, although as I stated earlier it would be very hard to guess their exact purpose, unless maybe you were an unscrupulous fish salesman. They were actually used to make cuts in lean fish which would cause them to swell so they could sell for a higher price. More details and the rest of the answers can be seen here:
Rob