What is it? Set 392

Page 2 of 2

    [ ... ]

    The points -- if the only contact surfaces -- would seriously reduce the transfer of heat to the rest of the tool.

    Those look like they are intended to grip and turn something -- perhaps a bottle cap, or some thing similar. If they are ice tongs (for medium small ice cubes, not the full 25-pound blocks), then the part near the handles could be for opening beverage bottles.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

2268: 'looks like some kind of taffrail log for boats, but I don't get the short piece of line. They're usually longer.
--
Ed Huntress

    Usually *significantly* longer.
    Short to make it fit in the museum display case, of course. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Yeah, that's what I surmised, too.
--
Ed Huntress

2267 ice tongs?

Haven't had any luck verifying what this tool is for, the rest of the answers for this week's set can be seen here:
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

Reminds me of what they use to change an oil filter in a car. I'm not caught-up on my history of antique oil filters.
Bill

    If you go far enough back, you did not find screw-on filters as you do today. Instead, there was a cartridge, or sometimes even just a pleated thing of felt reinforced with wire screening (e.g. my '57 and '61 MGAs), which fit inside a long dome with a through bolt holding it all in place and sealed.
    Here is an ad for one of the cartridge style filters from an old Popular Mechanics magazine -- bottom left-hand side of page:
http://www.google.com/books?id=nFcEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA246&lpg=PA65&lr=&output=html&rview=1
Assuming this URL is still good after I log out. It is page 246 of the November 1952 issue if you need to search it down.
    Anyway -- this tool would not be used for that -- and it looks a lot older than modern filters -- nor would it really get a good grip on them -- the tools made for the purpose expect regular indentations to grip.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Maybe it's the other way, hot things.
My dad was a machinist, tool and die maker and I remember seeing a set of those, pretty sure he just called them tongs.
When they used to make prototypes, gears mostly, if they needed to harden the steel they were made of, they used like torch them, red hot then plummet them into an oil bath.
I don't know if it has an offical name but I'm pretty sure it was for that line of work and dunking red hot things into oil baths.
-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

These look remarkably like a pair of ice snips that a friend of mine had. Here's a photo of a similar thing (halfway down this page) http://icetoolcollections.com/17whatsnew.htm
--riverman
Doug Miller wrote the following:

As I recall, and I was around before refrigerators were widely owned, ice tongs were larger and the handle openings were horizontal and not vertical as these are.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

2266 is an IcyBall refrigerator http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icy_Ball

Invented by an Australian of coarse.

2263)    To keep either water or foodstuffs warm.
2264)    Throwing (toma)hawks?
2265)    This looks to me like the worm part of a steering     worm and sector gear.
2266)    Perhaps a semi-portable water distillation setup?
    Looks as though the level is to make sure that the condensate     runs to toe collector not back to the boiler.
2267)    Either for picking up a hot vessel by the neck, or     for picking up ice. Probably the latter. Maybe even for *dry*     ice.
2268)    This one is quite clear to me -- though the line is rather     short for normal use.
    It is a "ship's log" -- used for measuring speed through the     water. The part on the left is trailed behind the ship, and the     dial, hooked to the transom or someplace similar, indicates how     many turns the towed finned object turns in a given period of     time. It can give either speed (distance over a measured time)     or overall distance travelled, if the dials can accumulate     enough turn counts. Looks like not a high enough count for a     total distance travelled application, so go for the distance     over a measured time.
    Now to post and see what others have suggested.     Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
2266 - Crosley IcyBall refrigerator: <http://crosleyautoclub.com/IcyBall/crosley_icyball.html