What is it? Set 333

Page 2 of 2

The lid is spring loaded, the stud is the catch that holds the lid closed. there is no spring in the knob. The opposite end from the knob is just a round piece of metal with a treaded hole, a rod from the knob holds it together. The bump is a rivet that doesn't do anything.
Steve R.
Steve R. wrote:

hadn't put up "no smoking" signs, for she loves the smell of Prince Albert. So Bond puts Prince Albert in the case and puts the case in the inner pocket of his suit coat, over his right breast. Before approaching the princess, he pulls the plunger. As he breathes, the fragrance fills the air around him. The princess answers all his questions.

    I still think that it was for carrying loose tobacco and either delivering it into the bowl of a pipe, or for delivering it into "rolling papers", which would be stored under the spring straps in one side of the case (either side of the plunger travel.
    If for a pipe, it would deliver a pre-measured load into the bowl without even having to open the case. If for making hand-rolled cigarettes, you would have to open the case to extract a paper, but then you would close it and a stroke of the plunger would deliver a pre-measured amount of tobacco onto the paper ready for rolling.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
| Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

There is no real way for tobacco to get into the U shaped piece on it's own. You will note that there are holes in that part, which are quite sharp on the inside. If you drive a nail through a piece of sheet metal, you will get the same effect on the exit side.
Steve R.
I've got it 1910 Who ever said it was for filling pipes is right. They are for something called Tobacco Cartridges. I have smoked a pipe for years and I never heard of such a thing.
I hope these links work.
http://www.google.com/patents?id=IPY_AAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq ron+case+plunger&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&qron%20case%20plunger&flse
http://books.google.com/books?id=CioDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq=%22tobacco+cartridges%22+pipe&source=bl&ots=N1lMq4USSf&sig=h18LmKThCQthoRFERKQux2gg0Ko&hl=en&ei=w3TUS5jJB8Sblgfv8djsAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved CEQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=%22tobacco%20cartridges%22%20pipe&flse
Paul K. Dickman

Thanks! That's it!
Steve R.

Thanks! That's it!
Steve R.

Excellent! Great job finding that, I just updated the answer on the web site.
Rob

1909 Postal Scale 1910 Handwarmer? 1911 Stall for holding calves when "making" steers? 1913 Slipstone for carving/woodturning tools.
scott

1913 is a fisherman's honing stone. The groove is for sharpening fish hooks.
1909: Looks like a scale to weigh carburetor (remember those?) floats to see if the float has leaked (of course you could always shake it and hear the liquid slosh around - doesn't work if the gas has turned to gum)... Joel in Florida ======

1914. A do nothing gizmo that spins in the wind when hung outside. Art
Artemus wrote:

1910 Pillbox?
Bill

1909)    Stylus pressure gauge for phonograph tone arm. A good one     (and good pickup) can work down into the black zone below one     gram (and produce much less wear on the record and the stylus.)
    Pretty good ones will still be below 2 grams.
    Old ceramic or crystal pickups were often as high as eight or     ten grams and really accelerated the wear on both the record and     the stylus.
1910)    This is purely a guess, but it looks to me to be associated     with tobacco use.
    The plunger packs tobacco in the cylindrical cavity (as well as     unlocking the case.
    The flat clips to either side look as though they were designed     to hold rolling papers.
    But the diameter of the plunger suggests that it might be for     loading a measured amount of tobacco into a pipe.
    I would like a view from the hinge edge with it closed to see     whether that is open or closed. It sort of looks as though the     disk on the end of the plunger may seal an open end.
    So -- is it for delivering measured amounts of tobacco to a     pipe, or to rolling papers?
1911)    Hmm ... looks sort of like an individual stall for practicing     bull riding (as is practiced in rodeos).
    It could also be a starting stall for horse racing.
    In either case, it restrains the animal and rider until a     starting time.
1912)    A "crane" for holding a cooking pot over a fire -- pivoted from     the back or side of a large fireplace.
    It looks as though this one was made by a blacksmith, not a     commercial product.
1913)    Whetstone for a pocket knife -- in a case for pocket carrying.     It could also be used for touching up an axe in the field, or     other similar edged tools.
1914)    At a guess -- some sort of plunger for a churn?
    If it were not for the fact that the spiral reverses about 5/8     of the way along I would suggest that it was something to be     towed behind a boat to drive a "log" (a rotation counter to give     a measure of the distance traveled.
    However -- the reversal of the spiral seems designed to cause     turbulence, thus a churn dasher seems to be a better guess.
    Now to see what other have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
| Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

I submitted 1910, the hinge side is an open hole when the case is closed, and the plunger withdrawn. There is no sign of tobacco use, or that it was subjected to heat of any kind. I don't think it was a pocket warmer.
Steve R.
Rob H. wrote:

metal case looks like a tobacco filler for a pipe.--Jerry