What is it? Set 307

Page 2 of 2
1758 is a battering ram used by police forces to break down doors.
Pierre

1753 is a chef's steel for honing knives 1755 looks like a wheel spoke tenoner 1757 is a Graylab photo enlarger timer 1758 looks like a very elegant steel fencepost driver
LLoyd

1753: Sharpening steel
1754: Door bell?
1755: Rope braider?
Rob H. wrote:

1753 - Knife steel, used to smooth the cutting edge burr on a knife.
1754 -
1755 -
1756 -
1757 - Looks like a darkroom timer. Does it have a lever on the back switching it from 1 hour to 1 minute?
1758 - Looks like a forcible entry door ram. Ours isn't nearly as pretty though!
--
Steve W.

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:40:55 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

The hand that's pointed at 57 takes one minute to go around, and the numbers are seconds. The hand that's at 7 is an hour all the way around, and each tick is one minute. IOW, it's minutes and seconds, 59:59 max. The knob in the middle turns the second hand to the # of seconds you want, and you set the "hour" hand to the # of minutes you want by moving it by that little tab bent forward at its end.
Cheers! Rich
Rich Grise wrote:

I have seen them that work as an hour unit and ones that could be set as second only. Depended on which process you were timing.
Oh well.
--
Steve W.

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:08:27 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

I've only seen the one type, so I'm not going to argue here. :-)
Thanks, Rich
Steve W. wrote:

Yes, you sharpen knives with a stone and use the steel as you said. Done properly, it's a two step operation.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
jeff_wisnia wrote:

Well if you wanted a GOOD edge you would use a three step process. Hone to primary edge, stone to a secondary edge then steel the final edge. My Wusthofs and Henckels get the full treatment about three times a year. The rest of the time its a quick hit with the steel.
--
Steve W.

1753)    This looks like a sharpening iron for a carving knife (turkey     carving, not wood carving).
    It is like a file with the grooves parallel to the length     of the iron.
    I've not seen one with what looks like an articulated hanging     ring on it before, however.
1754)    looks like something designed to clamp something until the rope     is slacked. Not sure for what, however.
1755)    Looks like something to turn a tenon on the end of a wagon     wheel spoke.
1756)    Some kind of spreader -- not sure how it is mounted.
1757)    Gralab darkroom timer. A fairly old one of the pre digital     versions, based on the knob. The knob allows you to set seconds     within a minute until it trips, the minute hand (shown at eight     minutes to go) moves in clicks to add minutes to the seconds.     You grip it by the bent-up tip.
    It can operate a device connected to the outlet on the side     (likely the light in an enlarger most of the time) or just sound     a rather loud and annoying buzzer when the time runs out. The     switch on the top is likely to silence the buzzer -- I had to     add one to mine if I remember correctly. :-)
1758)    Absolutely no idea.
    Now to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

To hang from a butchers belt - my dad wore/used one.
CYA Steve

Joining the game late (very busy at work/home)
1753. Hone steel. NOT for sharpening, for honing the edge. You use stones to sharpen. 1754. Not a clue on that one. When I hear the answer it will be obvious. 1755. Rope making machine. Twine goes in between the "spokes and through the shaft the handle is attached to, crank the handle and rope comes out the shaft. 1756. Better picture would help. What happens when the "T" is rotated (I assume it does)? 1757. Darkroom timer 1758. Used vertically, a fence post driver; used horizontally, a battering ram. Is it hollow and open on the small end? Fence post driver (Or I should more properly say a "T"-post driver)
1758 Several people have suggested "Fence Post Driver". I don't want to quibble, or pick nits, or argue... but... (Here he goes anyway.) With the handles offset on one side, if this were used a a fence post driver, your wrists would be working overtime to keep it straight. I'd expect the handles on a fence post driver to be symmetrical about the center of gravity.
wrote:

Joining the game late (very busy at work/home)
1753. Hone steel. NOT for sharpening, for honing the edge. You use stones to sharpen. 1754. Not a clue on that one. When I hear the answer it will be obvious. 1755. Rope making machine. Twine goes in between the "spokes and through the shaft the handle is attached to, crank the handle and rope comes out the shaft. 1756. Better picture would help. What happens when the "T" is rotated (I assume it does)? 1757. Darkroom timer 1758. Used vertically, a fence post driver; used horizontally, a battering ram. Is it hollow and open on the small end? Fence post driver (Or I should more properly say a "T"-post driver)

Alexander, Not arguing, quibbling, or picking nits... On at least some of the "T"-post drivers, the handles ARE offset to one side:
http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00KBdaoheJyYuwM/Post-Driver.jpg
http://www.highhopesgardens.com/Blogphotos/2006/pounder.jpg
http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00evFEkdZAGRrOM/Post-Driver-Hammer.jpg
http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq 0&uid67484733 But, here's the type of driver I'd want to use:
http://www.vectorpowerdrive.com/images/model2/stat_big.jpg
Kerry

I had a bit of trouble connecting to the news server yesterday, so here are my guesses, perhaps a bit late to the party:
1753 - Sharpening steel for knives
1754 - Press or mold for some semi-soft substance, maybe butter? (I'm assuming the top arm must be pivoted someplace near the metal hemisphere, so that pulling the string would bring the two hemispheres together.)
1755 - It seems I should recognize this--I think I've seen pictures of them around somewhere. Possibly a tool for unraveling and reforming wire rope, say when making splices? Or maybe the driving end of a large roasting spit?
1756 - Some sort of a hitch pin or similar device for locking things together? A door closer?
1757 - Ye olde darkroom timer, used to time exposures on an enlarger or print frame. Typically, the unit controls both a safelight and the printer bulb, and there's a switch to allow focusing, etc. that turns on the enlarger without timing stuff. If my memory serves me, one of the hands marks a preset time, and operating the unit moves the other to that preset and then counts down (seconds) until zero.
1758 - Motorcycle muffler?
Now to catch up on other guesses...
--
Andrew Erickson

#1753 - Sharpening/honing steel for cutlery
#1754 - String operated door bell
#1755 - Some sort of round tenoning jig or cutter. Wooden wheel spokes?
#1756 - Other than long, metal thing I haven't a clue<g>
#1757 - Darkroom Timer (or egg timer for wealthy gadget freak)
#1758 - Battering Ram (Used by the police when they come a'calling and aren't selling tickets to the Policeman's Ball)