What is it? Set 307

1753) This looks like a sharpening iron for a carving knife (turkey carving, not wood carving).

It is like a file with the grooves parallel to the length of the iron.

I've not seen one with what looks like an articulated hanging ring on it before, however.

1754) looks like something designed to clamp something until the rope is slacked. Not sure for what, however. 1755) Looks like something to turn a tenon on the end of a wagon wheel spoke. 1756) Some kind of spreader -- not sure how it is mounted. 1757) Gralab darkroom timer. A fairly old one of the pre digital versions, based on the knob. The knob allows you to set seconds within a minute until it trips, the minute hand (shown at eight minutes to go) moves in clicks to add minutes to the seconds. You grip it by the bent-up tip.

It can operate a device connected to the outlet on the side (likely the light in an enlarger most of the time) or just sound a rather loud and annoying buzzer when the time runs out. The switch on the top is likely to silence the buzzer -- I had to add one to mine if I remember correctly. :-)

1758) Absolutely no idea.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Windows haven't been made that way for years.

Reply to
Doug Miller

To hang from a butchers belt - my dad wore/used one.

CYA Steve

Reply to
Stephen Quinn

Sash weights.

Reply to
LDosser

Joining the game late (very busy at work/home)

1753. Hone steel. NOT for sharpening, for honing the edge. You use stones to sharpen. 1754. Not a clue on that one. When I hear the answer it will be obvious. 1755. Rope making machine. Twine goes in between the "spokes and through the shaft the handle is attached to, crank the handle and rope comes out the shaft. 1756. Better picture would help. What happens when the "T" is rotated (I assume it does)? 1757. Darkroom timer 1758. Used vertically, a fence post driver; used horizontally, a battering ram. Is it hollow and open on the small end? Fence post driver (Or I should more properly say a "T"-post driver)
Reply to
'lektric dan
1758 Several people have suggested "Fence Post Driver". I don't want to quibble, or pick nits, or argue... but... (Here he goes anyway.) With the handles offset on one side, if this were used a a fence post driver, your wrists would be working overtime to keep it straight. I'd expect the handles on a fence post driver to be symmetrical about the center of gravity.

Joining the game late (very busy at work/home)

1753. Hone steel. NOT for sharpening, for honing the edge. You use stones to sharpen. 1754. Not a clue on that one. When I hear the answer it will be obvious. 1755. Rope making machine. Twine goes in between the "spokes and through the shaft the handle is attached to, crank the handle and rope comes out the shaft. 1756. Better picture would help. What happens when the "T" is rotated (I assume it does)? 1757. Darkroom timer 1758. Used vertically, a fence post driver; used horizontally, a battering ram. Is it hollow and open on the small end? Fence post driver (Or I should more properly say a "T"-post driver)
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

I have seen them that work as an hour unit and ones that could be set as second only. Depended on which process you were timing.

Oh well.

Reply to
Steve W.

Well if you wanted a GOOD edge you would use a three step process. Hone to primary edge, stone to a secondary edge then steel the final edge. My Wusthofs and Henckels get the full treatment about three times a year. The rest of the time its a quick hit with the steel.

Reply to
Steve W.

Alexander, Not arguing, quibbling, or picking nits... On at least some of the "T"-post drivers, the handles ARE offset to one side:

here's the type of driver I'd want to use:

Kerry Montgomery

are my guesses, perhaps a bit late to the party:

1753 - Sharpening steel for knives 1754 - Press or mold for some semi-soft substance, maybe butter? (I'm assuming the top arm must be pivoted someplace near the metal hemisphere, so that pulling the string would bring the two hemispheres together.) 1755 - It seems I should recognize this--I think I've seen pictures of them around somewhere. Possibly a tool for unraveling and reforming wire rope, say when making splices? Or maybe the driving end of a large roasting spit? 1756 - Some sort of a hitch pin or similar device for locking things together? A door closer? 1757 - Ye olde darkroom timer, used to time exposures on an enlarger or print frame. Typically, the unit controls both a safelight and the printer bulb, and there's a switch to allow focusing, etc. that turns on the enlarger without timing stuff. If my memory serves me, one of the hands marks a preset time, and operating the unit moves the other to that preset and then counts down (seconds) until zero. 1758 - Motorcycle muffler?

Now to catch up on other guesses...

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

I've only seen the one type, so I'm not going to argue here. :-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

#1754 - String operated door bell

#1755 - Some sort of round tenoning jig or cutter. Wooden wheel spokes?

#1756 - Other than long, metal thing I haven't a clue

#1757 - Darkroom Timer (or egg timer for wealthy gadget freak)

#1758 - Battering Ram (Used by the police when they come a'calling and aren't selling tickets to the Policeman's Ball)

Reply to
DDDudley

Busting my balls? Art

Reply to
Artemus

I found several sites that had British patents available but none returned anything with this number. I also found that GB469568 was issued in 1937

maybe the online databases just don't go that far back. Art

Reply to
Artemus

so maybe the online databases just don't go that far back.

A google search for HAYDEN-NILOS by itself shows the company made a number of different crimping tools to attach ferrules to hose assemblies. The pictures looks like it might be some type ofa crimper.

Reply to
Nova

Hmmm. Okay, TWO American sports! ;)

Reply to