What is it? CLXIX

This week's set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
and again some stupid guesses from germany
977 for bending metal wire
978 to remove round shaped things by pulling them at their outer shape
979 carpenter hammer. the sharp tip can be used to fasten the hammer to the wood, to keep hands free. or to use the hammer as a handle to move heavy wooden objects
980 a whatthehellisthis
981 no idea, not even a whatthehellisthis
982 this one is needed when your neighbour uses his fuel driven lawn mower at sunday afternoon. but you can utilize cheaper things than damascus steel for this.
greetings from germany chris
981. I didn't know that there was a need for such a product, but apparently when milking cows, serious eye injury can occur from the switching of the cow tail.
As an old farmboy, I can assure you that cow's tails are dangerous. Particularly if they have anything old and dried in it. Hair grows off the end of it and it can often reach to the shoulder area.
The tail is the primary way that cows get rid of insects on their back. And they become deadly accurate with those tails. And there is enough muscle behind it that they can easily cause injury to a human face or eyes.
If a cow was troublesome with the tail when we tried to milk her, we just tied it up with some rope. They would get mad, but we got our milk and did not get hurt.
978. Automotive or IC engine valve spring compressor. 979. I'm guessing a tack hammer. Point is for making a hole to start the tack. 982. Assuming 7" is the full knife length I'm guessing boot knife. Karl

978. Battery terminal puller

982. Knife for shucking oysters.
Jerry

I'd say it's a Sgian Dubh ("Black Knife") from Scottish history. It gets its name from the black wood that makes the handle.

979: Upholstery hammer, broken. 982: Boot knife
result in a fully-depreciated one.
On Thu, 10 May 2007 04:29:34 -0400, R.H. wrote:

981 - Klingon speculum.
;-) Rich

982 is a boot knife. Although it could also be carried in an arm sheath, it's a bit long for that.

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.
977)    Hmm ... looks sort of like a quick-change blade for an     axe, but more likely to be used for something slower speed, like     perhaps a blade for a hydraulically operated wire cutter for     large gauge wires, such as perhaps 4-0 gauge.
978)    A cheap version of a pulley or gear puller. The two shorter     inner arms press on the center of whatever it is, while the     outer arms hook under the edge of the pulley or whatever and     pull up on it relative to the central part.
979)    Looks like a hammer tailored for installing and removing     fence staples, with an afterthought for pulling nails as well.
    Fairly light weight for the length of the handle, I think.      980)    Not sure about this. Perhaps for appling seals to sealing     wax?
981)    No guess -- and I think that the Neatorama guesses are all off     the track as well.
982)    This looks like a knife balanced for a knife thrower's act.
    Now to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

#977: Looks to be some sort of replaceable blade for a power tool.
#978: Gear puller