What is it? CCXIII

Set number 213 has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
1185 Flower holder for a hearse or carriage.
1186 Clock key.

No. 1187 - A tobacco chewing trumpet player's spitoon?
Bill : )

Let's see here...
1185 -- fishpole holder for a fishing boat? It could be lots of things; it may be helpful to see the other end of the large tube part and the mounting brackets a little more closely if there's anything unordinary about them.
1186 -- Maybe a winding key for some clockwork mechanism?
1187 -- This is an atomizer/sprayer; blowing or pumping air through the tube on the top (from the funnel end to the pointy end) will cause whatever liquid is in the lower part to be sucked up the tube there and sprayed in a fine mist. I've no positive idea what liquid would be sprayed with this particular unit; perhaps sizing when doing guilding? The funnel end of the blow tube looks rather like it's meant to be mouth blown, which (combined with the lack of any heat-resistant handle) suggests the contents didn't need to be heated.
1188 -- Tool for manipulating/replacing shoe heels, maybe?
1189 -- This is a hand adz of some species. It looks insufficiently curved in cutting profile to be a gutter adz (and I'd expect a bit longer handle), and too much so for most coopering work, so I'm guessing it may be used to hollow out the seats of wooden chairs or some similar work.
1190 -- This may have been used by the original native peoples of the area to sharpen stone cutting implements.
Now to read other guesses...
--
Andrew Erickson

1186 Launch key for the UK's nuclear missiles.
Phil ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/7097101.stm )
--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration
writes:

Nah we lost that one ages ago. This is the one they wind up George Bush's clockwork brain with. The hole is for the string that goes round his neck to keep it safe.
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines

    O.K. Posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking as usual. And slrn keeps tweaking me about setting the cross-posting back to only one newsgroup -- but I'm not sure *which* would be the best newsgroup, so I fight the newsreader and keep it fully cross-posted. :-)
1185)    Hmm ... two^H^H^Hthree possibilities come to my mind:
    1)    mount for a flag on the side of a house.
    2)    holder for flowers against a wall.
    3)    Buggy-whip holder.
    And now I think that (3) is the right choice.
1186)    Some sort of low-security key which opens an access plate     and lifts it clear. Not very heavy. Certainly nothing as heavy     as a manhole cover.
1187)    This looks to be a vessel for generating steam (given what     appear to be the letters 'O' and 'L' on the lid (open and lock),     which suggests that it is intended to take pressure. I suspect     that a pressure relief valve -- and perhaps a steam line as     well) went in the now empty hole.
    The skinny upright behind the small end of the horn appears to     be fashioned to blow a stream of steam across the open end of     the horn -- making it into a whistle. Perhaps we could think of     this as a whistling teakettle on steroids -- except that there     appears to be no place to pour the hot water out, and no     insulated grip to allow lifting it without burning your hand.
    But -- the discoloration of the bottom does suggest that it has     been exposed to flames many times.
    I guess that it could have been fed compressed air or steam     through whatever was in the hole, and served as horn, perhaps on     a railroad train?
1188)    This looks like a rather nice jar lid remover -- for a fairly     narrow range of lid sizes.
1189)    A rather specialized hammer and shovel -- perhaps for     archaeology?
1190)    I think that this was a counterweight for something like     lifting a bucket of water from a well or a stream. The bucket     is on one end of a pole, the counterweight on the other end,     with the two spaced from the pivot point perhaps so a half-full     bucket of water is balanced by the counterweight. This would     reduce the effort needed to lift the bucket and swing the pole     to dump it where it is needed.
    Now to see what others have guessed -- or truly identified.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
1188 is a set of pliers to remove radiator caps.